Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who else has never had a bug bite in Negril?

User Info Menu

Markus didn't get a single bite on our last trip. Not one!
    Meanwhile, I was absolutely covered from head to toe. I spent the first night sitting on the balcony and woke up with big spots all over my body.
    I should have sprayed on some "OFF", but I didn't....
    I guess some people are just lucky and others... aren't
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I bring it up because so many trip reports, particularly on TA, end with the phrase: "Make sure to bring bug spray!"

User Info Menu

I'm in your boat clarity...They seek, search and destroy me those bugs...and being allergic to the bites-well looks like I been beat head-to toe...I hate using chemicals (ie deet,etc) of any kind-but after experimenting with natural stuff(didnt work) have resort to that toxic soup of deet or stay in log shirt/pants at night..

Gerry..guess they don't bite you cuz you aint sweet enough (LOL) but seriously consider yourself lucky...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Never leave the room without a small bottle of deep woods off the bugs love me if i forget, which happened once during this trip! One time I bought a tshirt on the beach and put it on, by the next morning a had a sand flea tshirt on! almost ruined the trip, felt sick for a couple days.
    Trip #59 most of February

User Info Menu

Never had a bug bite in Jamaica. I'm from Northern Ontario (where the hit rate can be up to 200 per minute) if there aren't clouds of them, its a nice day.

Sponsor

User Info Menu

Lance always seems to get bittin by the sand flea's. Sometimes worse than others. Me not so much i feel them sometimes but skin does not react.
    I have always said me blood to rich for them. But one night I woke up with my leg really burning and and feeling numb. It got so bad I had to get up
    and investigate. Woke Lance up and he's like what's going on. I say something bit me. The sheets we're thrown back and a bee flew up and towards
    the light. OK Lance kill that sucker. So I say check them sheets before you retire for the night. I guess that little sucker clung to the sheets while
    drying on the line.

Something happened this past summer. Again I woke up with myself on fire, a lot stronger feeling than ever before. I felt like I had been branded.
    I put a cold cloth on it with no satisfaction. I had to go back to sleep, as I had a Family Reunion the next day... 2hr drive. I got through the day ok
    and it was so much fun seeing everyone. Lance cooked up Jerk chicken...that was hit. No one really wanted the dogs and burgs. Well back to this
    now very red spot on me. Drove back to where we we're camping and by night fall it turned into a blister. Lance says you must of got too close to the firepit, no man me didn't. Lance came up with another solution I am allergic to different metals. I was wearing a Tshirt with metal rings maybe
    that's what did. Ok so he had me convinced that the metal was what did it. A week went by and it just got worse and worse....It looked awful!
    Some say it looked like flesh eating disease. I had a friend come by she right away said that's a spider bite. You need to put poltice on it. Well
    what the heck is that and she told me. After she left I researched and researched some more. All the evidence points to the Brown Recluse
    Spider. I suffered with this for almost 3 months. I really thought I was going to have a gaping hole with the size of the scab. Well no hole thank
    god. But I got one nasty scar that I will have to keep out of the sun this Feb. So if you see me on da beach with something unusual stuck to me
    you know why. Just don't know what me gonna put there.
    I wanted to share this to keep people aware. Nobody thought they're was this spider in Ontario. A week or 2 later someone that was camping
    beside us took a picture of this very spider. So they are here! To identify they are brown with a violin shape on there body. Yuck! I always
    hated spiders now I am just darn paranoid of them.

User Info Menu

my legs used to get covered by sand flea bites.it would ruin my vacation.then i thought about dog flea collers,and tried them.you put them on loosly so they can slide around on your ankles,even where them in the water.now i can walk the beach at night without getting one bite.lot of ppl think it will put poisen in your legs,but it washes of in the water so IF it is poisenious.it comes off.and in the last 20 years of going to jamaica,not one bite.i even took them of the last week i was in jamaica once to see if it was indeed the fleacollers that prevented them from biting me,and i had about 50 bites when i went home,so they DO indeed work for me.many ppl have wrtten to me thanking me for the tip.saying it also worked for them,so try it once and see for your self,it DOES work for many,and we are still alive. now i put them on when i get to my room,and leave them on till i get in the taxie to go home

User Info Menu

I had not even ONE....and at home they love me go figure
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

The wife always gets bit! Me - never - But that's because she's so much sweeter than I am!
    The Earth is the Lord's and everything in it!

User Info Menu

Insects are attracted to particular scents

The do not like deet
    They do not like lemongrass

They (apparently) do not like rum!

Pick YOUR flavor