Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making local phone calls

User Info Menu

Re: Making local phone calls

I downloaded the WhatsApp to my phone, but it won't let me do ANYTHING (call/chat) without first allowing it access to all my contacts. There's no way I'm going to do that. Is there away around that? TIA!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mavmaiden View Post
    I downloaded the WhatsApp to my phone, but it won't let me do ANYTHING (call/chat) without first allowing it access to all my contacts. There's no way I'm going to do that. Is there away around that? TIA!
    If you use FB, then WhatsApp (Meta/Facebook) already has all your contacts. Adding WhatsApp would not give Meta any more data about you than you have already allowed them to have. There are settings that let you block people.

If you don't use FB, then here is a detailed description of how not to allow contacts and still use WhatsApp on iPhones and Android. Essentially the person you want to get a hold of would have to contact you first.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...20More%20items
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob!

Quick question-- I DO use FB, but I am assuming the App wants access to my phone contacts (not FB)? If that's true, then I still can't allow it because my phone contacts include several business associates and elderly neighbors (that are not on FB). All I plan to use the App for is trying to get a ride or two returning from dinners at restaurants on the Cliffs when I'm staying at Seastar. I'm hoping I can talk to the driver at Seastar and see if he's willing-- then ask him to contact me on WhatsApp. That would work, right?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mavmaiden View Post
    Thanks, Rob!

Quick question-- I DO use FB, but I am assuming the App wants access to my phone contacts (not FB)? If that's true, then I still can't allow it because my phone contacts include several business associates and elderly neighbors (that are not on FB). All I plan to use the App for is trying to get a ride or two returning from dinners at restaurants on the Cliffs when I'm staying at Seastar. I'm hoping I can talk to the driver at Seastar and see if he's willing-- then ask him to contact me on WhatsApp. That would work, right?
    According to Meta, contacts are contacts, be it phone, email, FB, Instagram, etc. FaceBook already has all your contact info, including all your email and phone contacts - you agreed to those terms when you signed up. If you use Messenger, then you had to grant Messenger access to all your contacts as well, which also include your phone contacts. Granting the permission to WhatsApp is at worst redundant, Meta already has all your contact information.

Only people using WhatsApp can be called or texted, your business contacts and family members who are not on WhatsApp won't see or get anything. You would have to actively choose Settings, then Invite A Friend for someone not on WhatsApp for them to receive a personal invite from you. There is no automatic way to contact someone who does not have WhatsApp from your WhatsApp, you have to actively take steps to do it.

Meta, through Facebook, Instagram, Messenger, etc. already has everything on your phone including access to your camera, microphone, pictures, texts and contacts. WhatsApp is probably Meta's least invasive app. Facebook, Messenger and Instagram are much worse when it comes to data collection.

Should you still not want to grant access permission, you would have to follow the detailed instructions in the link I posted. There are some steps and restrictions that you need to be aware of if you do not want to grant access. Please read it in full.

If you grant access, virtually everyone and every business in Jamaica are available on WhatsApp. And you can make free encrypted calls and texts worldwide. Your phone's standard calls and texts, FB posts and chats, etc. are not encrypted and anyone who wants to listen or read can make that possible. There are software kits available on the "dark web" that are cheap and easy to use for just that purpose.

Granting permission to WhatsApp is probably the least harmful thing you will do that day on your phone.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

We use a driver that supplies a cell phone with round trip airport transfer. We then put about $15 US on the phone for international and local calls. The driver can use any of the remaining time when we give him back the phone at airport drop off.
    Regards,
    Bob