Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US$ or J$?

User Info Menu

US$ or J$?

Is it better to have US or Jamaican dollars with us for dining around in Negril?

User Info Menu

Re: US$ or J$?

Both are accepted. Make sure you have plenty of small bills - US $1, $5, $10 & $20s/ Jamaican $100, $500 & $1,000s. Several times I had trouble getting change for J $5,000 bills.

Is it me or do the Jamaican $500 and $5,000 bills look similar?? Especially at night when you are settling up your bar bill??? LMAO!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

After doing the math, my take on it is this. If you're staying a week or less just bring US dollars (and mostly small bills) because the few dollars you save isn't worth the hassle of exchanging. If longer, it's worth it but only if you can get a great rate to exchange (I use my Debit card from ALLY bank at a bank ATM and get only a 1% fee, so that I get $148J/$1US when the international exchange rate is $150J/$1US) because I found that you start losing out exchanging money with local vendors and the smaller restaurants (where you can lose $100-$200US in exchange) over the course of a longer trip.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 11-03-2022 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

you will save a little money if you use $JA. If using USD make sure your bills are in good shape. As VVHT mentioned the money can be confusing if you have had a few! Ripped, faded or old bills can be a problem.
    Enjoy
    Peace

User Info Menu

And, for most of the advice above I would only give if you're American & staying mainly in the tourist areas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    And, for most of the advice above I would only give if you're American & staying mainly in the tourist areas.
    Are the new Jamaican dollar notes in circulation yet. I saw that at the beginning of the year they were going to introduce a new color coded dollar system and a $2,000 bill, just checking thanks.

User Info Menu

I used the machine inside NCB bank last week at Boardwalk Village Center. I got $40,000 and it came out in $5000 bills. The drive thru one wasn't working but there are 2 inside the lobby.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wilky View Post
    Are the new Jamaican dollar notes in circulation yet. I saw that at the beginning of the year they were going to introduce a new color coded dollar system and a $2,000 bill, just checking thanks.
    Nope, not yet.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

If you are a budget traveler , it pays to have both , do the math . Use what currency works best for you .