Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

User Info Menu

Re: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

Name:  Miss Gloria's Beach 1977.JPG
Views: 1376
Size:  39.8 KB

User Info Menu

Name:  Red Ground.JPG
Views: 1546
Size:  686.8 KB

User Info Menu

That has to be Red Ground, Daisy was our protector and told us to stay out of Red Ground, never said why but she was still with the same mindset when I went back in 1980. I think it could have been family feud like Hatfield and Mcords.

User Info Menu

Yes Red Ground at the top of the hill from the Wharf Club the road makes a 90 degree left turn. I had a friend Mortimer Johnson (The Bong God) who lived up there. As far as The Hatfields and McCoys go you're probably right although who knows as everybody has their favorite parts of Negril.

User Info Menu

Johns, do you remember the name of the small motel right on the beach, I it was White Sands or just Sands Motel, I do not remember anything on the beach besides it?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    Johns, do you remember the name of the small motel right on the beach, I it was White Sands or just Sands Motel, I do not remember anything on the beach besides it?
    I do believe that was the Sands Hotel.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thank Rob the brain is a little foggy.
    Everyone is up and I take a little walk up the road and find a small stand selling fresh hand squeezed orange juice by the side of the road, well its not really what you would think of as a road side stand in the state but it was a board across 1 rock and a tree root with a hand paint sign. I did not have to ask the sales pitch for the young girl started before I even saw it behind the bush, I had not been in the sun yet a glowed a bright white. But orange juice was just what I wanted. How much $1 dollar ok, she gets to work on making it twisting and really working the orange over a piece of rock, remember this is 1974 and not need for modern appliances they still are living in the dark with no electricity yet.
    she pours the first bit in a rum bottle and then gets another orange and repeats the process over and over until the bottle is full, that is fresh and good.
    That little stand ground in to this enterprise by 1980 cases cold beer is not really cold but we won't worry about false advertising.

I walk back down to Georges house our cottage with the juice and we decide its time to head to the beach, we don't have any sun tanning oil.

I see Franklin out in the yard and ask him where we can get some and he howlers some the out and out come Daisy no problem mon, she disappear for a like while and come back with a you guessed it rum bottle full of a goldfish colored liquid in it the bottle still hade the over-proof label on it, she hands it to me and I take the cap off and put my nose to it and it is a smokey sweet coconut smell , how much you know it $1 us dollar, I love this place we will never run out of money.
    We jump in the little yellow ford and down the road we go.
    This is Franklin doing some yard work.

We go around the little roundabout and head out of town for the beach we just pull off the road by where a path has be worn down to the beach and park and start to walk and find our encounter with briers sticking us every where below the knees. but we limp and hope to the sand and pick the stickers out of our feet.
    What a beautiful beach and clear blue water, we come form Va Beach and the ocean there is more green gray and not clear at all.
    We see a few nuked white people laying out getting taner they have be here for a while from the lot there tans a a few people walking do the beach, mostly lady with load of something on there heads.
    Be here is a couple walking together and she is topless and the guy walking toward them has his street shoes and white sock on and black rim glass, he looked like Buddy Holly,
    I wish more of him showed ing the picture.
    This was Negril back in the day.
    The sail boat anchored outside the reef I saw in a earlier post on the old board and with its captain at the wheel sailing it, I think he is or was on the board he was a white guy.
    The sail boat was a tan with brown trim.
    We fry on the beach for for a while and then head to the store by the round-about on the way back up the hill.

We are good and pink now, it only takes one day.

User Info Menu

Here is the beach photo it did not stick up above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I do believe that was the Sands Hotel.
    Rob, are you referring to Silver Sands (at Coco location)? If not, where was Sands Hotel located? ty

User Info Menu

my first time also 1974. February i believe . also 2 dollar a night in Red Ground at the Mosely family Old Pal
    Cottage,. drove from Atlanta to Miami . I'm kinda upset now cause my flight was 99 dollars .
    wish i could live this soon to be 50 years of trips again