Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

User Info Menu

Re: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

lane,
    In your second to last post you refer to " I saw in a earlier post on the old board and with its captain at the wheel sailing it. I think he is or was on the board he was a white guy"
    I believe that you are referring to Captain Dave who was a long time and respected poster on this forum. Cap'n D passed away several months ago from cancer. It is my understanding that he had worked in Jamaica back in the 60's and 70's as a boat captain for Wray and Nephew who owned Appleton Estate. Cap'n D also was a fond resident in Negril where he established the one and only small sailboat rental business on Negril Beach ant at one time if I am not mistaken had two spots one up towards Rutland Point and one not far north from the Negril River in town. He also had a son named Linston who is a highly recommended driver for many on this board. Dave also established a home in Jamaica, whose name escapes me, about 30 minutes inland from Negril. Captain Dave was a go to guy for many on this board and his passing was very sad for many of us. Rest in Peace Dave!!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Captaind's home here was called Zion Hill. Linston can still be contacted there as he is now running the property.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

John, Yes that was the person I thought it was and I did see a while back that a Capt. had pass but with out his boat was not sure, bless him and let him rest in peace.

I just found the photo a a woman with the basket on her head on the beach, todays visited could not be let how empty and still it was back them.

I guess al it took to change all of that was a few hippies spreading the word about good Ganga, Rum and Food when you could find back then.
    But in the right state of mind everything was good and we all had that in common.

Heading back up the road from the round-about here is the from of the "Negril Yacht" with its long blue awning to welcome you but no yachts there I go with being hung up on advertising again.

But it did a have a large deck on the back that you had alt to your self.
    We pull in the yard and park and see a stick with palm leaves tied to it to make a nice broom out against the front wall and Georgie on her hands and knee
    with a half of a coconut shell rubbing the tile floor and she made them shine. That was all of the house keeping there was to be done.
    She ask if everything was good and I said yes but we could do with less Mosquitos, with a big smile she said "ya Mon'' and that was it.
    But that night Daisy did give use two extra coils light in the middle of the night, any thing to make out stay more enjoyable.
    We put the hard cracker, caned cheese along with a can of pineapple juice for the bottles of Appletons Rum and Wray and Nephew OverProof on the little counter top with a jar of instant
    Blue Mountain coffee. We grab the Red Strip and put a few more in the little gas refg.
    Daisy walks over and I ask her if there I could find some ice, I not to the hot rum yet, no problem mon and goes back to get a small chunk of ice raped in a piece of burlap bag and tell me to put it in the refg.
    We take cool showers and make drinks and have a smoke out back.
    Not feeling the sun burn any more or at least not as much we go sit on the from porch and wait for some thing to go by, unlike now you have to wait to cross the road.
    To give some of you an idea of where Georgie place is we are looking right across the road from the large white iron gate with Tensing Pen on it and the stone wall on either side.
    It must cost more the $9 USA a night for 4, we will find out later.
    Then this big cloud of Ganga smoke comes down the road and in it is the guy for yesterday walk in by. and he said "Hay mon you want a Spleaf" ya so we smoked with him and his name was Gladstone and he lived just up the road we talk a bit or he talked a lot and we listen. and then he walk on down the road.
    We decided to walk up the road to see what was up that way and we came to this.

User Info Menu

lane,
    Great memories you bring to this thread!! Many I had forgotten especially the mosquitoes!! I remember one night at Gloria's Sunset Cottages I had a small room with a girl friend from Vermont and it was a very hot and humid night. The room has slatted windows but no screens on them. We were embraced in a rather romantic vibe and so to try and cool off a bit we opened the slats on the window. Very bad move!! We got eaten alive!! Funny how those memories are so clear!!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irie John View Post
    Rob, are you referring to Silver Sands (at Coco location)? If not, where was Sands Hotel located? ty
    Nope, this was up closer to where Sandals is now. I made a mistake after thinking about it (62 is fun), it was the Sands Club. It was a bar that happened to build some rooms.

I know the owners names, but I probably won't remember them until 3am or some such nonsense.

User Info Menu

sorry to hear of the Captains passing. never met him but he seemed to have lived an adventurous life .

User Info Menu

It looks like this thread has become a free Dementia test for all you old timers, just remember it the old memories to go last. Sitting in a chair starring out in space and have the picture of the good old in your head.
    Last edited by lane; 12-05-2022 at 09:54 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Nope, this was up closer to where Sandals is now. I made a mistake after thinking about it (62 is fun), it was the Sands Club. It was a bar that happened to build some rooms.

I know the owners names, but I probably won't remember them until 3am or some such nonsense.
    Eleanor!!!

That was the Sands Club owner's name!

CaptainD put together a great video from 1983 at the Sands Club and thankfully he put Eleanor's name in the post so I was able to find it! Here is the link to his original post:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....string-of-fish

User Info Menu

We walk around the lighthouse ground and watch the sun disappear before our eyes, just beautiful.
    Going back down the road there is no Rick’s on the righ side of the road but there is something being built not to far off the road and in the bush, it became the Banana Shoutout Nextel to the now Rick’s.
    I make another ovenproof and pineapple juice and the last of the ice and sit back and watch the sky it’s stairs and moon are so large and bright with no lights yet you could get lost in it.
    I am numb enough lay my sunburn backdown on the hard bed. I wake up with the mosquito attacking and I light the other coil. I have to say It thing the mosquito coils are peddled by snake oil salesmen,
    I don’t know but did not dare to go to bed with out on burning, they were like todays Jab.
    Up early how could to lay on that bed any longer. Eat some grapefruit from the tree in the yard and enjoy the cool breeze.
    We have plans for the day later.

User Info Menu

Rob, thanks for that slow and real the Negril way.