Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

User Info Menu

Re: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

Johg, Sorry to ask but the memory is now all there, don’t recall what we had for meal just bits and pieces off it stand out.
    I do not remember any jerk chicken back them, just fish.

User Info Menu

lane,
    I don't recall jerk chicken back then either. I ate most of my meals at the Wharf Club Restaurant on the corner of Red Ground Road and West End Road. Directly across the road from the Restaurant was the Wharf Club Store a dry goods store run by an old Chinese man. The restaurant was where I ate most of my meals. The menu had Chicken or fish dinners that came with rice and peas and a veggy like cole slaw or carrots. They were inexpensive something like $3.50. You placed your order and paid and then waited until they called out your number. Food was great portions big. I occasionally would order the fish when it was kingfish as there were few bones to deal with. There was a juke box there that was always blasting the latest 45 rpm hits, the songs that were on Jamaican radio stations at the time RJR was one station I believe. You mentioned the bakery that I remember being called the "The Bread Basket" a couple doors down from the bank and the supermarket in the Plaza on street level below what was know back then as "The Villa's Negril" perched on the hillside and overlooking town and Long Bay. I remember a lot of meat patties and CoCo Bread from the bakery. That's what I remember anyway!! Hope that helps!!

User Info Menu

John, thanks glade I did not miss the Jerk Chicken back then, I would have remember that smell from a mile away. I do remember the bones in the fish. Sometimes more bone then meat, but could they fry it.
    I did not fine King Fish until 1980 trip at Rockie Del’s more on that late. Grilled King Fish with Pick a Pepper is the best meat almost.

User Info Menu

lane,
    Did you always stay on the West End when you visited Negril?? I most always stayed on the beach about a mile north of town at Gloria's Sunset Cottages and later would stay at the Villa's Negril. I wonder if we ever crossed paths??

User Info Menu

Johns, No I never stay on the beach both of my wild trips I stayed at Daisy’s and the trip a 10 years ago we stayed at Tensing Pen nice place to stay but, Negril was not my wife’s cup of tea.
    And for me I pushed off the cliff on a raft and got about 25 Sea Urchin spines in my feet.
    Needless to say, I was not very mobile for the rest of the trip, still had two large ones in my foot when I got home.

User Info Menu

Hi lane yes Negril isn't for everybody!! I guess you either love it or you don't. The reason I ask about recent trip is that so much has changed since the early 70's. It is my understanding that Key West was the original Capital of casual and that hippies discovered Negril as their new place to go considering the Ganja and rum not to mention 7 mile beach. I made the mistake of getting a couple sea urchin spines in my foot too. I remember the old time advice to relieve the pain by pi**ing on it....

User Info Menu

the old fisherman's remedy... you must "wee" on it. Ammonia is the secret ingredient.

User Info Menu

Used for jellyfish stings as well. If that doesn’t work I was told over proof. Drinking it probably works better than pouring it on the sting.

User Info Menu

I can tell you the overproof was about as good as it got.
    The girls at Tensing had a little bottle of something they put on them and with tweezers picked an pulled at them for over an hour until they say “sorry mon”.
    I picked at them all day to no avail, I just limped around driving them further in my foot.

User Info Menu

Back to the car problem, we are up early like alway laying around on hard bed was not adding to the Jamaica experience.
    He are having our coffee on the porch and John walk across the the road he is alone his girl friend is in a softer bed in their hut and not ready to face the day yet.
    We talk and John thinks he should walk to town catch a bus to Sav La Mar for the part we need. I am good with that because l saw a bus while in line at the banks the other day, it did not look like a joy ride to me.
    Off he goes and Daisy walk over and we fill her in and I tell her we are going across the road to snorkel and swim some. She tells us not to ware any thing shine in the water because Barracuda are attracted to that, thanks Daisy just one more of her don’t t add to my list. It getting to be a long list but her has been spot on so far, just wish she had told me to sleep with my money, I had to learn that one on my own.
    We head over to the cliff and sleeping beauty was up and about. We enjoy the water and never had any close encounters with the Barracudas.
    John gets back with the part, food and a tale of travel to tell, let just say the bus ride was not a joy ride and finding the part was an adventure.
    Last edited by lane; 12-15-2022 at 10:10 AM.