Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

User Info Menu

Re: Go back to 1974 on “memory lane”

It’s a new day bright sunny and hot hot!
    John and I are under in and all round the car trying to install the new clutch cable, Franklin is here to talking us through the operation, and on the ready to go get any other tools we may need. But it feels like we are not doing anything but sweating.
    We get both end connected and are ready to try it. I push the clutch peddle in and not snap or pop,ok.
    I am able to shift the gears, now I start the car and put it in gear ok, Franklin gives out his “no problem mon” with a smile.
    We hope in the car for a test drive and Franklin said go up the road it will be easy to push it back down the road to the yard, he comes along too for extra man power it we need it, we go up the road and back it’s fixed.
    We park it and think we should not use is until we had to drive back to Mobay. So yard art it is again.
    The next day we do have to call JAL to save our sets, John said let’s drive because one one wanted to take a walk and we can go to the beach one more time ok.
    There is a line at the phone booth not really a booth just a pay phone on a pole I thing, I get in line and thankfully it is not as long and slow as the bank line was earlier in the week, I make the call an get in the car we now have meat patty’s and beer and head for the beach.
    We park the car and I look at the front tire and it has a bubble on the side wall not good the car is grounded for sure now, we hope it makes it to the airport with out a blow out.
    We are sitting on the porch relaxing like you can do in Negril and I say we have not seen Gladstone lately.

User Info Menu

The time has come to say our good bye to Franklin and Daisy and thank them for their kindness and help, we will be back I promise.
    Down the road we go honking the horn often like the sticker on the dash board said and hopping we do not have a tire blowout on the way to the airport.
    We need to stop on the way for a break and beer and I take a look at the tire and the bulge is getting bigger on hell, it’s not going to make it to the Mobay, oh s—- the back tire on the other side now has a bulge. We really can’t hit any more pot holes in the road here on out. I is slow going now trying to fine the smoothest pavement on that old road, you guys remember more holes then pavement.
    We make it to the airport and it looks like army base soldier with guns everywhere.
    We turn the little yellow Ford back in with just 1 good tire now, rental cars where not the way to good.
    We don’t see Don running around chasing cars today.
    One more lesion I learned this trip.
    We check in at the counter and are told the flight is delayed, and I ask whats with all the soldiers around.
    He tells us about the hijacking “Mon” here it comes “NO PROBLEM”.
    We get in the long line and finally it our turn to be searched, I hope the TSA never get these guys to show them how it should be done, they were even trying to pry the soles off our shoes looking for some thing.
    We get a rum punch and that helps and we make it to the plane and off we go.
    I am sitting looking out the window as paradise disappears and think to myself our friend must have left some things out of their stories or they just has a vacation and not an adventure. I am good with adventure.
    We are not done yet, we get to the car in Miami all is good we think.
    Remember the oil embargo well the states have about 10 days worth of gas now.
    We me to fill the tank to drive home and see long lines at every gas station we go by in Miami.
    Then we see the sign at one of them that said even tag number on even days.
    Well we are on a even day with a odd number tag.
    I walk in the station and tell them we are from out of town and need to get on the road back home today and need gas. I am hopping for a no problem mon but get a come back tomorrow!
    I will be back in 1980 with more memory lane.

User Info Menu

lane,
    Awesome man, NO PROBLEM all the way around!! People who didn't experience Negril and Jamaica like you did back then can only read your trip report and smile!! It was truly magic!! I too was there during those years and was in Negril the day of the 1980 Jamaican General Election. Amazing!!! Thank you so much for your contributions on this forum!!!

User Info Menu

lane, thank you for sharing your great adventure! I will anxiously await your 1980 return report. I’m sure there were many changes 6 years later.

User Info Menu

Johns, I returned first of March in 1980 for three week, I do not remember when the election was but know of the struggles that was going on between the Cuban backed guy and his guns. and the US backed guy with his guns, all reported by who else the Rolling Stone Magazine, the most true soured for news.
    Going from the states everything was a little rough around the edge’s.
    But hay they had Bob Marley back the and he could get the people together, I just hope they find another like him to help.
    Last edited by lane; 12-20-2022 at 11:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Rum lover, you will not want to miss 1980.
    Thanks for staying with me on the trip.