Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negril Trivia circa 1985-90

User Info Menu

Negril Trivia circa 1985-90

New to the board and so glad I found the experts. I work on a music history podcast currently doing episodes taking place in the mid 80's. Trying to accurately remember the 7 mile hot spots. I stayed at Tree House and Country Cottage.
    Did Alfreds serve the "Rasta Pasta"? corny but a crowd pleaser.

What was the name of the Lobster Place? on the beach?

other beach hangs?

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Trivia circa 1985-90

Our first reach was in 1992. The place to go for lobster back then was "Peter's" or "Peter's Place" not too far from Alfred's

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure this place started with a "B"

User Info Menu

"Lobster Place on the beach"...

If you are thinking Bloody Bay, it was probably The Office of Nature.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Our first trip was 1983. We stayed at Negril Beach Club. There was Charela, the old Bar-B-Barn, Tea Water, Pete's (for patties), Yellow Bird, and after Gilbert in '89 Mark opened the Hurricane Bar which was there until the owners of Yellow Bird (Montreal owners) finally came down three years later and evicted him from his spot on their beach just off the corner of their chain-link security fence. Way up on the beach was Cosmo's (worth a taxi ride to get Mr Brown's fish and chips). And don't forget the Rasta enclave that was at the bridge and mouth of the river. I had my first Jamaican home cooking there at Sister Love's, prepared by a Rasta lady called Dorothy P. Also met my first Rasta at Sister Love's place that night, a tailor who sewed baggies (remember them?) He went by the name of...drum roll...Tailor. Those were the days, my friend.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Small correction, Gilbert was in '88. That is one of the reasons I moved here.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Lobster places on the beach, many were great. Pete's and Mavis, Negril Inn, Conch Hill.... so many...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

In the late 80's I stayed numerous times at Hedo (affectionally referred to as the "ZOO" by locals). My memories are quite hazy, but I remember "Da Bus" a night club on the beach, Rick's before it blew into the sea, Mrs Brown's tea house and loads of great jerk barrels along beach road. It wasn't "Respect" back then, everything was "Irie!!"

User Info Menu

I remember Hedo being called "the compound" by the locals. But as Rob gently pointed out, my memory of those days is admittedly a little rusty lol

User Info Menu

Bar b barn!!!!! thanks so much. I remember T water cottage and De Buss. A Classic. If anyone wants to hear a great take on this era Negril check out the Rootsland podcast episode "Meeting Place of the Gods" Bless All