Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Negril Trivia circa 1985-90

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Trivia circa 1985-90

Quote Originally Posted by jambob98 View Post
    Bar b barn!!!!! thanks so much. I remember T water cottage and De Buss. A Classic. If anyone wants to hear a great take on this era Negril check out the Rootsland podcast episode "Meeting Place of the Gods" Bless All
    To read a tourist perspective of Gilbert, I wrote about my experiences on the 30th Anniversary of Gilbert:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....-Gilbert-Story
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I enjoyed reading that! I like reading all the older stories about Negril. So interesting to me.

User Info Menu

In 1980 here was the go to place at the round-about for beer rum and mushrooms, had to get the rooms by 10am while still fresh or sold out.

You can see the fresh concert curb and sidewalk in the photo may be the first upgrade to the round-about.
    There was a Lady in a very small shack around the roundabout in 1974 that stood at one end with a window on ether side of her, and window behind her with a ledge to rest your food on, the structure was only one body wide and she cooked fry fish samwich with sliced of tomato on it and with the bones. Made to order and a wait time of 1/2 an hour if she did have to get another fish. Just hang out in the HOT HOT SUN.
    Many of you will know who the Capt. here is, they say he was there in Negril for ever and drink took him down over the years.
    Still at the round-about.

The young guy was the mushrooms man, he would pick them off the cow paddy at daybreak and bring them to town.
    Last edited by lane; 12-07-2022 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    In 1980 here was the go to place at the round-about for beer rum and mushrooms, had to get the rooms by 10am while still fresh or sold out.

You can see the fresh concert curb and sidewalk in the photo may be the first upgrade to the round-about.
    There was a Lady in a very small shack around the roundabout in 1974 that stood at one end with a window on ether side of her, and window behind her with a ledge to rest your food on, the structure was only one body wide and she cooked fry fish samwich with sliced of tomato on it and with the bones. Made to order and a wait time of 1/2 an hour if she did have to get another fish. Just hang out in the HOT HOT SUN.
    Many of you will know who the Capt. here is, they say he was there in Negril for ever and drink took him down over the years.
    Still at the round-about.

The young guy was the mushrooms man, he would pick them off the cow paddy at daybreak and bring them to town.
    and the old guy in the back , my old friend Capt. Dennis .Name:  IMG_0266.jpg
Views: 835
Size:  626.9 KB

User Info Menu

I can not even imagine the stories he told while holding court at the bar or under a tree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    In the late 80's I stayed numerous times at Hedo (affectionally referred to as the "ZOO" by locals). My memories are quite hazy, but I remember "Da Bus" a night club on the beach, Rick's before it blew into the sea, Mrs Brown's tea house and loads of great jerk barrels along beach road. It wasn't "Respect" back then, everything was "Irie!!"
    Decided to give the "ZOO" at try in mid 90's! Wow, fun stuff. Found memories of Mrs. Brown's. The fish scales painted on the ceiling and all the great b&w and polaroid pictures on the walls! Wasn't there a food stand at the Da Bus? Does the old bus still sit in that empty lot next to Kuyaba? How about chef Norm. He was always so kind to all his guests! Someone mentioned Pete's, that staff could run a serious hustle. Great food though!
    Peace

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lane View Post
    I can not even imagine the stories he told while holding court at the bar or under a tree.
    We had some fun! yes he was a teller of tall tales from all over the globe , and a master of slight of hand , an unforgettable Negril character .

User Info Menu

Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Our first trip was 1983. We stayed at Negril Beach Club. There was Charela, the old Bar-B-Barn, Tea Water, Pete's (for patties), Yellow Bird, and after Gilbert in '89 Mark opened the Hurricane Bar which was there until the owners of Yellow Bird (Montreal owners) finally came down three years later and evicted him from his spot on their beach just off the corner of their chain-link security fence. Way up on the beach was Cosmo's (worth a taxi ride to get Mr Brown's fish and chips). And don't forget the Rasta enclave that was at the bridge and mouth of the river. I had my first Jamaican home cooking there at Sister Love's, prepared by a Rasta lady called Dorothy P. Also met my first Rasta at Sister Love's place that night, a tailor who sewed baggies (remember them?) He went by the name of...drum roll...Tailor. Those were the days, my friend.
    My first trip to Negril was in 1981 and I stayed at Yellowbird and have been a consistent regular Yellowbird customer for 40 years!. The owners of the Yellowbird were a couple from
    Nebraska; Roy and Irene, whose painted Mural was on the outside wall of Cottage # 3 until recently. The Hanson family owned the Yellowbird for many years until it was sold in the early 2000's.
    I remember the Hurricane Bar, located where Merrill's is now situated. While the music was great, it was so loud that not a soul could sleep. Mark would be sleeping on the counter of his bar oblivious to the volume. These were the days when there was no "noise time limit" for bars/restaurants. In my recollection, I do not recall any owners of the Yellowbird other than Roy and Irene who related they founded the "yard".

For fabulous Lobster I recall Angela's in the cliffs, Lobster pizza place next to Risky Business on the beach, great food at original Xtabi (prior to Gilbert damage), Mariposa (fabulous Italian food), Café au Lait in the cliffs, Rock Cliff Hotel in the cliffs, Pee Wee's on the cliffs as well as Bar B Barn, Alfred's, Miss Brown's for tea etc, Chicken Lavish, Miss Cool on the beach (past Negril Beach Club) with her sons who sold "anything for the head"

User Info Menu

Paradise Yard up Police road served Rasta Pasta and Petes had great grilled lobster on the beach.