Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stories Of Negril and the Westend

User Info Menu

Loving your posts!!! Can't wait to hear more...

User Info Menu

On one of our many drives into the interior of the country. My wife and I, along with another couple, went out to Y's falls. After we had satisfied ourselves of jumping off the waterfall, swinging on the rope into the water and crawling under the falls we headed back to Negril. We were discussing our plans for dinner, when Victor asks us if we wanted to see real Jamaican fast food restaurant. We said yes and he pulled over near a bunch of huts along the road. The windows were down in the car and from behind these huts a group of women came running out. Each had a plate of cooked fish with the heads pointed to the center of the plates. When the women reached the car, they shoved the food through the windows and right under our noses! Though the fish did look and smell good, we declined and the women walked back to the huts. Victor laughed and said, the food is good but better in Negril.

User Info Menu

The first time we stayed on the beach, we stayed at Yellowbird. I had a video camera and went out onto the beach. I set up my camera and was approached by a local. He, of course, graciously offer to sell me the local herb. I declined, as I needed no more, but told him what I really wanted was a couple of bottles of the local fresh squeezed orange juice. Just as I said that, another local who had just walked up, heard my request. The race was on! Both men ran in opposite directions at top speed. My jaw dropped as both men disappeared quickly. I had just started to get back to my camera when I looked up again to see one of them already coming back! I turned and looked in the other direction to see the other man also on his way back. Before I knew it, I had 4 Ice Cold bottles of orange juice. Luckily I really like the orange juice and I paid both men for the bottles. Who needs an all inclusive with this type of service.

User Info Menu

One afternoon my wife and I walked down the beach. She wanted to have her hair braided. We found a place where some women had a small shack on the beach. They told me it was going to be a while, so I found a shady spot under a nearby tree. Lazily watching them and the ocean. As I was sitting there, a group of young female tourists started playing in the ocean in front of me. Of course I had to watch. After a short time one of them approached me to take pictures and handed me their camera. I followed them out to the water and the shoot was on. After many basic friend poses they began to play in the water, and I kept on shooting. One of them took off their top and the others grabbed starfish from the sea. They strategictly placed the starfish so it looked as if she had nothing on. In turn they all got shots like this. When they were finished, they thanked me and went on their way. I went back to my tree, and my wife came over after her hair was braided. Having watched the whole thing, she laughed and said it looks like you had a good time. I told her she could have her hair braided any time she wants to.

User Info Menu

I love these stories! Keep 'em coming!
    Paradise Found--- June 11th through 18th--Country Country

User Info Menu

mi stories with the West End don't start till '88 when I discovered LTU...........
    up to that point I'd always hung on da beach at Miss Mary's/T-Water area.....
    the reason I finally ended up at LTU was I was from Boston and a couple DJ's from famed WBCN use to rave about the place...
    thus I had to see for mi self and thus got hooked on the West End which is the Best End........
    after getting pestered constantly by people on the beach........
    the West End was a great change of pace......and met a lot of friends there.....
    plus mi found it more laid back and people more interested to getting to know you versus sell you sumthin........
    back in '91 I met a group of people at HedoII and I took them all up to LTU for sunset and had a blast.......
    they all told me when they were leaving to go back home that LTU was the highlight of their trip........
    if you can believe that......
    I made another trip that year and had to stay at LTU.......since I discovered they had rooms
    had a great time and fell in love with the area even more.......
    all the rest of mi reaches in the 90's centered around the West End.......which is the Best End........
    Last edited by Marko; 05-17-2011 at 03:43 PM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

On a trip to Mayfield falls with friends, I had a cold and couldn't get in the water. I follow the group for a ways and then went back to the bar. The young Jamaican behind the counter asked what was wrong? I told him of my cold and he said "No Problem, I know just what you need". He left the counter and started walking into the forest. I followed, and to my amazement, he climbed up a tree an began hacking at some fruit from the tree. He then walked around a clearing and began cutting a certain kind of grass. Taking his bounty back to the bar, heated up some water and made me a tea from the items he had cut. He told me "this is a fever grass and wild nutmeg tea". You drink this and you will feel much better. I did, and it worked. He gave me enough to make my own tea back in Negril. By the next day my fever was gone and I felt much better. Another example of the true nature of the Jamaican People.

User Info Menu

One of the things my wife and I love is snorkeling. We have covered the area from Home Sweet Home, to well past Pirates cove. We always see something different each time. Once after a big storm, it was rough but not that bad. We jumped in and snorkeled into the caves at Blue Cave Castle. There was alot of flotsom and jetsom on the surface of the water. Visibility was poor. We noticed something moving at the other entrance. Both of us were looking as the swells came in, and we saw 3 fish, two of which were larger than we were. Shark or barracuda we could not tell, nor did we stay in the water to find out. We prefer to dine on fish, and not be dinner for them.

User Info Menu

Great stories! Hope there is more. Thanks for sharing!!

User Info Menu

Awesome, awesome!! Great writing and I enjoy reading your stories