Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stories Of Negril and the Westend

User Info Menu

For several years my wife and I raved about Negril and Jamaica to our friends. Finally after years of trying we got a large group
    of friends to go (starting with my 40th birthday party). We went to the beach one day and met a Jamaican named Winston and his two brothers. They had a bar next to Alfred's. Winston had worked with Bob Marley and ran a company that put together tours for Jamaican bands in the USA. One afternoon he took me to the office and played a bunch of Bob's outtakes for me. Winston is very tall. At least 6'4''. Part of our group decided to go parasailing. Winston asked if he could come along and did. My friend Kevin and I wish them fun and walked into the water. We waded out and drank our beer and had a smoke. We watched our friends go up and out into the bay. They got about a mile off shore and began the back and forth run. We turned around and started to admire the shoreline. All was Irie and good. We turned back around and watched our friends some more. We noticed there was someone swiming twards us. As he was swiming quite a distance, we began watching him as well. Before we knew it the swimmer was apon us and it was Winston. He had taken the ride out there just so he could get a good swim in. The first words out of his mouth were, so didn't you bring a beer out for me? When our friends came back, we started to collect our things and hed back to the castle. Winston asked if he could come along. We agreed and headed back. Apon arriving, Winston walked directly to where my room was and asked "Are one of you staying in this room"? I repled I was. He said "So your the reason I couldn't have my room". I replyed that we would gladly change rooms if he wanted to move in. Winston just smiled and said "No, you stay there and keep the place I will move in after you leave. Here we just meet him on the beach and we find the next guest. He was a long term friend of Susan at the castle and stay's there on each return trip.
    Last edited by Pushin 50; 05-17-2011 at 09:09 PM.

User Info Menu

One day while hanging out at Pee Wee's, I met a 15 year old Jamaican boy. He was about to go out to spearfish off San Sara. I asked to go along and watch and he agreed. He said he only went after barracuda. I mentioned that I had heard that you could get sick from eating the fish. He said he had gotten sick twice in the past, but they were still his favorite to eat. I went and got my snorkel gear and we went out. We swam out past the point (known as barracuda point by the locals) when he said this was his fishing spot. I could not see bottom where we were at. I asked him where are the fish? He pointed down and said down there. Next thing I knew he went flippers up and down he went. As I watched he disappeared into the murky water below. I floated above him but could not see him. Over a minute went by, and still no kid. I began to worry, then all of a sudden I see his figure returning. At the end of his spear was a 3 ft long barracuda. He surfaced smiling, happy he had just caught his dinner!

User Info Menu

West End?

I dreamt of Jamaica for 15 years - I knew I was meant to go...its in my journal way back when - it was calling. First went with friend and her Mom and Sis for just 3-4 days. My senses were overwhelmed the ENTIRE time in every way. The amazing beauty of the lush mountains, clear wata, gorgeous men (I mean people lol), freed my spirit but staying on the beach was overwhelming in a different way. Stayed at BarBBarn and loved it and after all these years still my home base. Over before I knew it and still tears when leaving....I didn't really know why....again that feeling of freedom until the moment the plane took off.

Gotta go back and want to try solo and stay longer. Bob at negrilonestop.com talked with me on the phone and told me about a little place on the cliffs (?) called Heartbeat - nothing fancy but I trusted him and tried it. It became the launching pad for my soul. Not necessarily the place but it gave me the right everything for all I needed. Went for a week, then for a month, then worked for a year 3 jobs to save enough for four months of freedom and it was life changing. I learned so much about myself and made friends that I still have today. They taught me so much about life, love and true peace. I will be eternally grateful. I knew nothing of West End but it became my neighborhood and people call to me as I walk and children run to me and jump in my arms and I still feel the magic there. I became addicted to staring at the sea off the cliffs, watching and talking with the fisherman, sunrises/sunsets, in awe of the beauty and we are but a drop in the sea. I never tire of it and the peace I feel staying on the cliffs is something I am not sure I have ever felt in my life.....safe, free, closer to God. Heartbeat is gone but I am still connected to West End and still can't get enough of staring at the sea there.

I still love the beach, the soft sand, standing in the wata blue below - blue above - every shade imaginable. I spread my arms wide, palms up giving thanks to the universe and receiving the flow of blessings. Lots of stories I can share but my personal experience is one that brings me so much joy to share. I feel it but seldom get to explain my journey. I will always love Negril, it will always feel like home because my heart is open there. Thanks for asking the question - 37 sleeps until bliss.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rasta Sunset Boatop (Medium).jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	1219
    Preach Peace / Live Love / Blessed Be
    ONE LOVE
    Sweetness

User Info Menu

I am so glad so many people have enjoyed my stories. Yesterday I shared but a small portion of the memories I have of my life in Jamaica. I will continue with more latter, but now I am moving into things yet to come. As I stated at the beginning, I will be turning 50 on Monday. Part of the reason I started this was to reconnect with people in Negril, and others who have shared their lives with us. To my suprise it has worked even better than I expected. There was one person in particular I was having a hard time finding. Thanks to the work of my friend Petrona, I have found him. If you have read all my posts, you know I have a very special relationship with my dear friend Victor. He lives outside Jamaica now, but everytime I have returned so has he. I was worried this would be my first trip there without him. None of the phone numbers for him worked. Then out of the blue, after seeing my thread on Pee Wee's, Petrona contacted me and began the process of finding him. To my delight, I am now arranging for him to join us for my birthday. Today, I am one of the happiest men on the planet. In a few days I will be returning HOME to Jamaica. It looks like I will be surrounded by those I love and care for. Many of the stories I have and or will write about, include these people. Many are great story tellers themselves. For those who can make it, Please come and join us Monday at Pee Wee's and I will introduce you to the people who made my stories possible.
    P.S. There are a great many stories that cannot be told here in such a public forum!
    P.S. P.S. One of them is the story of how my wife got the nick name Broke Back! This is also a Jamaica story.
    P.S P.S P.S. If your in Negril, but can't make the party, you may see Victor and I playing cribbage at Alfred's on sunny afternoons throughout the week.
    Last edited by Pushin 50; 05-18-2011 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

One of our first trips into the interior to play, we went to Roaring River. On the way there, Victor stopped by a sugar cane factory. At the time there was nothing to process so the place was almost seemed empty. A man we met there gave us a quick explanation of the process of removing the sugar from the cane. He took several pieces of cane and shoved it into a rolling press. The sugar juice was collected below and he handed me a glass of pure cane sugar juice. Talk about a sugar High. Wow. We thanked him and continued on to Roaring river. Before we left the area of the plant, we drove past one of the funniest sights I have seen. In a lot, empty except in the middle stood a large safe on top of 5 feet of a concrete pedestal. It looked like someone had stolen the bank and left safe. Victor explained that was all that remained of the former Barclay's Bank branch that had been there. The rest of the building had been stripped clean and used to build other things. The picture of this is one of my favorites and always make me laugh.
    Last edited by Pushin 50; 05-18-2011 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

We continued on to Roaring River. Back then you drove through the cane fields. The road was dirt and rutty. (It is much better now) We drove along in the 71 Impala convertable land cruiser. Around us the sugar cane reached great heights, as we swayed back in forth down the road. In the cane fields, the wind is blocked by the cane. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like, to be in that heat, and have to cut down the cane. Eventually we made it. Roaring River was much simpler then. Outside was a line of shacks that sold tourist items just before the path to the cave. It should be said, there are now 3 places to go there. The first one is the original. It has the cave. The second business has a large spring to swim in outdoors. The last place has the first and smallest spring. Its charm is the farm with ackee trees and other native vegetation. All are separate businesses and require an entrance fee. On this trip, we went only to the first place with the cave. You hire a guide who takes you inside. There you find a bottomless pond you can swim and dive into, a natural jacuzzi with a large blast of water coming out of the wall, and dark long passages that go deep into the mountain. These caves were used by the Arawaks, slaves and moonshiners. After our tour we went back outside. We did not see Victor or the car and asked where he went. Someone told us he had gone down river and was getting his car washed. We walked down to a bridge and crossed it. There in a pool, on the other side of the bridge was Victor. His car, as well as another one, were in the pool and locals were washing them. A teenage local was standing next us and asked if we wanted to jump off the bridge into the river. Mind you, there is a reason they call it Roaring River. The series of springs that make up the river start just 100 yards away. There is a small hydro electric plant that takes some of that water and returns it before the bridge. The river itself is only 10 to 15 foot wide here and you can't see the bottom. What you don't know is its also 10 to 12 foot deep. The water moves very swiftly until it reaches the large pool on the other side. At first we declined, and then boy did a backward flip into the water and came up and was quickly washed past the bridge into the calm pool. I couldn't resist and went for it. It was great. I jumped in and when I came up the current grabbed me and threw me past the bridge and into the pool. I don't remember how many times I jumped but what an afternoon! I went back there 3 years later. After cave time I asked a local if it was still safe to jump off the bridge. He said ya mon and went with me to do it again. Just as we got there the skies opened up an a torential rain started. We only got three jumps in before it started to get dangerous. We dried off in a nearby shack and I introduced myself. I said I am from Kansas City and he go's I know. I remember you from last time. I go sure, how come you remember me. He said "because your the only tourist who has made the jump". It was the kid from 3 years earlier. He had grown up a bit.

User Info Menu

Awesome stories!! Keep them coming!!

User Info Menu

Roaring River is a magical place for me, and not just because of the bridge jumping. The area around the cave is beautiful. If all you've ever seen of Jamaica is the beach and coastline, you really don't know what your missing. The drive out is more than cane fields. When you travel along you do see vast open land with cane farms. However there are lots of small farms and plots, small villages, and houses surrounded by beautiful caribbean gardens. Sometimes with ocean views, and sometimes surrounded by hills and mountains. Rivers can be wild and untamed, some disappear completely and come back above ground miles latter. Others can be lazy and meander into swamp land (Behind Negril and Black River). On the drive out to Roaring River,
    you can see much of this. I would suggest hiring a driver instead of the bus tours. This only apply's to small groups. If you are two couple's hire 2 drivers. Hire them for the day and ask to make stops along the way. This is the time of your life to make time, and stop thinking about losing it. Ask for the scenic route. Ask to go a different way back than you came. If you get hungry eat jamaican along the way. Stop for drinks at roadside bars. Its usually cheap and good. The drivers will know where to go thats safe. Believe me, they want to get paid, and that won't happen if something bad happens. Don't be scared be respectful, they may be poor but they are a proud people. Don't light up ganja without asking. The countryside is much more conservative than the beach. Always tell your driver what you are carrying. He cannot protect you from the police if he doesn't know. Ask before you take someones picture. Some true Rastafarians believe that taking a picture of them, takes a part of their living soul. Don't get confused, true Rastafarians don't wear flashy jewelry and hang out at the beach. Those are mostly Rent'a'Rasta's. Real Rastafarians are very religious, many are farmers and live off the land. They wear practical clothing. If you never leave the beach you will probably not meet one. If you bus, you will miss the part of Jamaica I love best. I love going through Sava La Mar, Likkle London, Whitehorse and all the other villages along the way. If your out when the kid's go or come from school, you see them neatly dressed in there school uniforms. Off the main roads on Sundays, all the beautiful womens hats come out. You will see families headed to church dressed to the nines. If you are religious, ask around, many christian faith's are practiced here. you might get asked to join them. Just don't go dressed for the beach. Sunday clothes are expected! The highlight of every trip for me is usually getting to know someone new. Take a chance, its worth it.

User Info Menu

Jamaicans are some of the worlds best salesmen. They don't give up. One evening my wife and I went out for dinner with another couple. We came out of the restaurant and were appoached by a man who offered us his "Home made peanut brittle".
    The items he held up were obviously from a prepackaged box of something. Each was in an individually sealed plastic packet. My wife told him, "Those are not home made!" He quickly replied "Ya Mon, I make them in my own kitchen". She took a closer look at the items and said "I know what those are, it's a peanut breakfast bar. I buy them at home." Unfazed the man said "Oh no, I make these in my own home." My wife laughed and said "But they are professionally wrapped". Oh yeah, I have a wrapping machine at home"! We laughed and said no thanks, and walked twards the street. Our friends finally came out and were also approached by the man. We were too far away to hear the conversation, but assumed our friends would decline also and join us. To our supprise, out came the wallets and they ended up buying 4 a piece.

User Info Menu

love Roaring River. been there many times. love Blue Hole Gardens ....