Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOE's Are Back !!

User Info Menu

SOE's Are Back !!

"Jamaica’s Prime Minister Andrew Holness on Tuesday announced that States of Emergency (SOEs) are being reimposed in a number of parishes.Speaking during a press briefing, the prime minister said SOEs have been issued for St. Ann, Clarendon, St. Catherine, St. James, Westmoreland, Hanover, and some sections of Kingston and St. Andrew."

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly....eral-parishes/

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: SOE's Are Back !!

And now apparently withdrawn to make sure they follow the legal regulations:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...etabling-later
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the damage has been done. Western media are now tell Canadian tourists that their cancellation insurance won't cover them if "it was a known cause" from when they bought their tour package. Citing the high level of violent crimes and loosely mentioning the word "rioting".

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...arns-1.6187354

What ever happened to investigative reporting. I guess, "Jamaica is a beautiful country and generally speaking tourists are safe", isn't really a news story. I've had one friend cancel already (without check in for the real story). I feel so sad for Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Unfortunately the damage has been done. Western media are now tell Canadian tourists that their cancellation insurance won't cover them if "it was a known cause" from when they bought their tour package. Citing the high level of violent crimes and loosely mentioning the word "rioting".

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...arns-1.6187354

What ever happened to investigative reporting. I guess, "Jamaica is a beautiful country and generally speaking tourists are safe", isn't really a news story. I've had one friend cancel already (without check in for the real story). I feel so sad for Jamaica.
    Sadly saw it on CNN... 💔

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    And now apparently withdrawn to make sure they follow the legal regulations:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...etabling-later
    So, the on again off again SOE is not making things any better. Any idea of where we are? SOE or no. Minister of tourism has dropped the ball AGAIN. He should be on the news and in the paper.

Administrator

User Info Menu

So, the on again off again SOE is not making things any better. Any idea of where we are? SOE or no. Minister of tourism has dropped the ball AGAIN. He should be on the news and in the paper.
    The Minister of Tourism has nothing to do with it, you can blame him for other things, but not the SOE. That is completely in the ability of the Jamaican Prime Minister, Andrew Holness. If there was an actual SOE, it ends tonight. But I didn't see it....

Maybe they changed tactics?

User Info Menu

When I referred to the Minister of Tourism dropping the ball, I ment he is the one that should be out there correcting the media in Canada and the USA about riots in the streets and the high levels of violent crime. He is the one that should be talking about the SOE's and the purpose behind them to the media. I just had another friend cancel because of the "unrest in Jamaica". Unrest exists but not on the beaches of the A.I.'s and just might be only a fraction of what the main stream media makes it out to be.

Administrator

User Info Menu

When I referred to the Minister of Tourism dropping the ball, I ment he is the one that should be out there correcting the media in Canada and the USA about riots in the streets and the high levels of violent crime. He is the one that should be talking about the SOE's and the purpose behind them to the media. I just had another friend cancel because of the "unrest in Jamaica". Unrest exists but not on the beaches of the A.I.'s and just might be only a fraction of what the main stream media makes it out to be.
    Unrest? Where? There are no riots or unrest as reported in the main stream media.

And it seems now that on the 6th, the so-called SOE never took effect. My first post in this thread said it was withdrawn. All the foreign news stories have been misleading. But withdrawing a state of emergency doesn't sell advertising, just like a house not burning down is not considered newsworthy.

As for the Minister of Tourism, to remain the Minister of Tourism, he cannot correct nor speak for the Prime Minister. Politricks 101.

One of the reasons I started the Negril Message Board 25 years ago was to help correct misinformation for everyone who wants to come to Negril and Jamaica.

Everyone - please let your family and friends know to check here to find out what is actually happening on the ground in Jamaica. Obviously, the major news media failed to pick up on the withdrawal of the non-SOE.

User Info Menu

Well said Rob!!

As I stated before, "Jamaica is a beautiful country" and/or "we got it wrong, there is no state of emergency in Jamaica" just isn't news in main stream media. The minister of Tourism can't under any circumstances override or correct the PM, but what he can do is report the real story. There is no reason why he can't send out a news brief to CNN, Fox, CTV, CBC etc, stating that the tourist areas are relatively safe and there are no riots. He could explain the reason for the first SOE as a gang member round up and he could explain that the second SOE doesn't exist. This could be the best season ever for Jamaica for with traveler's cold and anxious to get away after the covid lock downs. Main stream media may have just put a stop to that.

Your right Rob. We need to pass the word ourselves.

User Info Menu

If only the major news media was still interested in reporting the news. Apparently, there is no money in that anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]