Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Well, here is what happened.....Jamaica Giants

User Info Menu

Well, here is what happened.....Jamaica Giants

The cliff side ocean was a little rough so I called our driver and asked if he knew where Jamaica Giants was located and how much for the trip. Yes he knew where it was as he had been there one time before and quoted a price of $80, but in the windy conditions on the cliffs I thought he said $50. We hopped in the car when he arrived and headed toward Little London then up toward the mountains. Janet and I had been there before but forgot how bad the roads were. As we got closer to the mountains the roads got even worse and it was slow going. There really wasn't any signage saying which way to go so I am glad we had our trusty driver. We arrived at Jamaica Giants just a few minutes after a tour had begun with 5 other people and they waited for us to catch up. Our guide was quite engaging and a very good story teller. We went through some of the art gallery and then on to the statues. Then finally into a second art gallery. The tour lasted over an hour with lots of information about the property, the owner, the artist and sculptor. The price was $39 each.
    The property is about 4000 acres and is owner by Ricky Jackson, a Negril entrepreneur. I am not sure if I am correct or not, but it was my understanding that Jamaica Giants was originally opened to promote Jamaican culture and arts. However, it seems that they are planning other activities on site that in my opinion will take away from the experience. Planned additions include a restaurant, hiking trails, a swimming pool and ATV's. While the hiking trails and restaurant might be good additions the pool might not be that helpful knowing that most visitors already have a pool at their hotel. And ATV's? Really? The noise and activity would greatly diminish from the overall serene setting. Not only that, but the already steep entry price may have to be raised. And the fact that nearly everyone going uses a private driver, the cost for transportation would also go up because of the extra time at Jamaica Giants. For the short excursion Janet and I paid $160. Adding extra activities and driver costs could send that up over $250. Just my opinion but something to think about.

Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCN7560.JPG
Views: 786
Size:  3.16 MB

Name:  DSCN7561.JPG
Views: 792
Size:  3.43 MB

Name:  DSCN7564.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  3.54 MB

Name:  DSCN7565.JPG
Views: 760
Size:  3.39 MB

Name:  DSCN7569.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  3.44 MB

User Info Menu

Re: Well, here is what happened.....Jamaica Giants

Name:  DSCN7591.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  3.48 MB

Name:  DSCN7575.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  3.42 MB

Name:  DSCN7572.JPG
Views: 745
Size:  3.47 MB

Name:  DSCN7595.JPG
Views: 764
Size:  3.32 MB

Name:  DSCN7603.JPG
Views: 767
Size:  3.46 MB

User Info Menu

Name:  DSCN7554.JPG
Views: 748
Size:  3.35 MB

Name:  DSCN7577.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  3.36 MB

Name:  DSCN7587.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  3.37 MB

Name:  DSCN7615.JPG
Size:  3.34 MB

Name:  DSCN7620.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  3.15 MB

User Info Menu

Name:  DSCN7590.JPG
Views: 703
Size:  3.29 MB

Name:  DSCN7579.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  3.44 MB

Name:  DSCN7573.JPG
Size:  3.28 MB

Name:  DSCN7598.JPG
Views: 771
Size:  3.45 MB

Name:  DSCN7604.JPG
Views: 761
Size:  3.38 MB

User Info Menu

rjonsun,
    Fantastic report!! I have heard the name Jamaica Giants before but never heard any background or explanation. Could you perhaps elaborate on the trip a bit please? The sculptures are carved in rock?? Who are the artist and sculpture involved in this enterprise. Ricky Jackson of the Treehouse Jackson's?? is the owner?? How far away from Negril is the property?? Despite the cost involved it seems that you had a great time!! Any additional photos and information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and enjoy every minute of your time down there. One last question when was your first trip to Negril?? and where did you stay during those first trips?? I wonder if we ever crossed paths??