Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Quite The Journey

User Info Menu

Quite The Journey

30 years ago today December 27th 1992, My new bride and myself stepped off an Air Canada flight and onto the beautiful island of Jamaica for the first time. I can still remember that flight well. Air Canada had free booze, and it was quite the party at the back of the plane (cause that's where the beer cart was). In those years the plane parked on the tarmac so you had to walk to the terminal. When they cracked the door to the airplane and all that hot humid air came in, it was hitting the drunks like a bomb shell. Well there was more than one passed out in their seats and even a few drunks being dragged down the hall towards immigration by their mates.

We have gone from 1 Jamaica vacation per year, to two vacations here, then sometimes three. Then retirement so we can winter here and summer in Canada. Then came permeant residence status, and now a new house being built in Whitehouse on the south coast. One more trip back to Canada while the house gets finished up here, and then Jamaica 365 here we come. It has been quite the journey.

Our first trip here was not with out hassle, the road to Negril, just to name one, hotel was over sold and we got a room with nothing it to name the 2nd, So why we came back, I don't know. There was just something about this place that kept dragging us back and to date neither of us have one single regret.

Thanks Jamaica, and here's to the next 20-30 years.

User Info Menu

Re: Quite The Journey

Oh man, you’re going to be living my dream!! Congrats on your new home!!

User Info Menu

browns54,

I'm also from the class of 1992.
    It was March of 1992 and I vividly recall the blast of warm moist air with the hint of jet fuel as we descended the gangway from the plane onto the tarmac!
    We were greeted in the reception hall by brightly colored dancers and singers and rum punch!
    Off to Negril on the Old road and across the Ganga Bridge!

When we bought our first home computer in 1995 the first search I did was "Negril" and up popped RealNegril.com and the Negril message board.
    Oh the memories......

We started at the All Inclusives, but after the divorce, I started my own journey outside the gates and the real adventure began.

Three trips this year and hopefully more in 2023.

Congrats on your new home and may your journey continue for many years!

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy
    Last edited by VVHT; 12-28-2022 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    browns54,

I'm also from the class of 1992.
    It was March of 1992 and I vividly recall the blast of warm moist air with the hint of jet fuel as we descended the gangway from the plane onto the tarmac!
    We were greeted in the reception hall by brightly colored dancers and singers and rum punch!
    Off to Negril on the Old road and across the Ganga Bridge!

When we bought our first home computer in 1995 the first search I did was "Negril" and up popped RealNegril.com and the Negril message board.
    Oh the memories......

We started at the All Inclusives, but after the divorce, I started my own journey outside the gates and the real adventure began.

Three trips this year and hopefully more in 2023.

Congrats on your new home and may your journey continue for many years!

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy
    '92.... I was just fleshing out the ideas for Negril.com then. Must have come down 18 times that year. They knew me at Northwest!

Realnegril.com didn't start until 2003....

Oh the memories!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob,

My bad, I blame the early hour and old age. It was Beingees.com!!
    I miss the old Black and Green...

User Info Menu

When you are bit by the good vib and connect with Jamaica it is with you your whole life, like the pesty vibes that were popping up in 70’s.
    Enjoy your island life.

User Info Menu

You're right, lane. I was bitten by the good vibe bug in 1983. It's been with me ever since and I'm in my 70's now. We were going twice a year and were last there in August 2020 when Ida hit our home in New Orleans. My good-vibe condition is now critical. I need a booster soon, LOL.

User Info Menu

Itching to pull the trigger!