Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Safety in Negril now

User Info Menu

Safety in Negril now

Hello Rob and everyone,
    My husband and I are headed to Negril on January 4th. How is safety there? Is SOE still in effect? We travel to Negri often and have always been comfortable there. An update will be appreciated.
    Bless,
    B
    Last edited by bmsmith; 12-29-2022 at 10:22 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Safety in Negril now

Quote Originally Posted by bmsmith View Post
    Hello Rob and everyone,
    My husband and I are headed to Negril on January 4th. How is safety there? Is SOE still in effect? We travel to Negri often and have always been comfortable there. An update will be appreciated.
    Bless,
    B
    Barbara,

You will be equally comfortable here as you have been on your previous trips. A new SOE was called yesterday which will extend for 14 days. Since the previous SOEs called as long as 4 years ago have been less than successful as needed, I think the government is changing tactics.

The Prime Minster has been meeting with the US Justice Department, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and other law-enforcement agencies during his five-day visit to the US capital in early December. I think that this latest SOE may be more targeted as the previous SOES only noticeable effect was to make driving a hassle.

I am heading to the tax office in Sav today and will be reporting from the road to let everyone know what is happening as it happens!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thank you, Rob!! I appreciate the background explanation. Wow, I will love your report as you travel to Sav. While we are there we will be traveling to Revivial, New London - that area so your report will be ever appreciated. I will be looking for it.
    Blessings,
    Barbara

User Info Menu

bmsmith,

I was in Negril from Dec 3rd to Dec 10th and felt comfortable my entire trip.
    During that week, I made two trips to Sav La Mar, one by route taxi and another by private car. Both trips were without any incident.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Hello WHT, thanks so much for sharing your recent experience in Negril. I love this platform that allows for all to exchange information which is so helpful.
    Bless,
    Barbara

User Info Menu

My situation may be different and my perspective biased because I’ve been married to a native of Negril for 13 years. I’ve never once felt unsafe in Negril. Even walking by myself In very remote parts or being alone with my children. I have been cussed at when I wasn’t with my husband but never felt like my safety was in jeopardy. I even had strangers give me clothes for my children. The one time I traveled solo I was approached but I dismissed them. Having lived in NYC for 8 years you become street smart lol.

User Info Menu

Just reach back to Florida. Was in West End the whole month of December. Walked alone at night with and without my children. No problem. I would walk the roads there any night before I would do it here in Florida! Busier traffic on road now. I hadn't seen it so busy in Negril for some time. I got used to the quiet as I was "stuck" for a few months during Covid shutdown. I think I want to stay more countryside outside of Negril next time and just stop in town when I need to pick up a few things. Happy New Year everyone!