Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tip/gifts

User Info Menu

Tip/gifts

My daughter says gifts make an acceptable tip.

Do veteran visitors agree?

My daughter thought DVD's.
    I was thinking T-shirts.

Is this off the wall?

I was thinking of this kind of thing for staff at the hotel along with cash (of course).
    Any experienced boardites have any thoughts about this proposed practice?
    Thank you - respect!

User Info Menu

i do both, i leave the maids cash everyday, i may also leave them a tube of nice lotion, i leave some of the cooks at the resort some lotion along with tips. the guy cook or guy bartender does not get any lotion though. i think that the ladies around the resort appreciate the lotion. it is something that they do use and it smells wonderful, i do also bring $2 bills and leave many of them for tips.

User Info Menu

I don't think gifts should really serve in lieu of cash tips when it's a situation where a cash tip is the norm. But gifts are fine as an addition to the tip. Or for people who are not necessarily customarily tipped.

User Info Menu

Cash tip daily as your housekeeper is not always the same person. I stay at the same place so know the housekeeping staff & what they like. For them, I bring something special plus whatever extras I might think of... nail polish, lotions, etc. I also leave them whatever toiletries & kitchen items I don't want to take back home w/ me. That's usually lotion, hand sanitizer, things like that. After Xmas would be a good time to buy toiletry gift sets as many will be half price. Just unwrap them & pack in w/ your items.

User Info Menu

I'd edit out that second "person." but I never typed it in the first place - lol. Board gliche, Rob? Went back to edit but, it was only typed once. Oh well...

User Info Menu

We've always left baseball caps & t shirts from NYC in addition to ca$h to the staff we know otherwise just cash....

User Info Menu

Thanks

Cash is easier to pack.

Hoho!

One month 6 days

User Info Menu

What about all inclusive resorts? I've heard you aren't supposed to tip, but do you anyway?
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Back in the day, gifts were great, but now although maybe more expensive, almost anything can be bought in Jamaica.
    I vote for cash.

Respect,
    Col. Andy

User Info Menu

cash is KING.......

leaving gifts can be more work than it's worth as who knows what dem really like or want.........

if you ask dem.....then they will expect it...cellies, perfumes, colognes, laptops, electric razors, purses, etc.......and it has to be all brand name stuff......lol

stick with cash........never seen anyone ever unhappy with dat..........lol

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20