Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Day 1 on 1980 Memory Lane

User Info Menu

Day 1 on 1980 Memory Lane

After a few rum punches and watching the drunken flies fly into each other and as the sun sinks in to the sea leave a lone Red Strip to stand watch the rest of the evening at Rick's. Oh and by the way back then the bar tender could serve you a rum drink or a gin cocktail and red strip beer, that's if the only 1 bottle of gin still had some in it, the rest are rums.
    We walk back to Daisy's for the night and her and the dogs meet us in the yard, we are running out of gas by now we been up for 2 1/2 day so the bed will feel good.
    Daisy walks us back to the A frame, we are the only ones there tonight and turned the light on and I as her if we could have a oil lamp its so much more Jamaica, when in Jamaica live like it, no problem and she bring one back with the coils and lights them for us and leave a spare coil.
    I am sleeping with my money this trip no problem. The nigh was what I remembered from the 1st trip hot, but the bed was soft.
    Up early and take a cool shower water is warmer its coming from the black barrel over head.

We walk by George's cottage that have a Rasta and Hippy chick on the porch smoking and we say hi and keep heading to the restaurant for breakfast.
    Rocky Dell is just waking up too, we get a good soon come omelet with a slice of tomato, bread and orange juice they have a small electric juicer so breakfast only took about an hour had to fine the eggs.

The white gate of Tensing Pen are right across from us while we eat. For you that don't know how it got its name it was where the Jamaican that own the property keep his dog Tensing, it was Tensing pin. How simple is that.

I ready to see how my bartering skill are with the trinkets we brought, so I grab a pair of foster grant sun glass and head to the little road side store just down the road from us that Daisy told me about. As we are waking up to it we hear the radio blasting out the music, Johng had ask me what was some of the changes I notice from the 74 trip to this one and one of the first thing I notice was that music was in the air even place you went by it was basting,Young teenage kid is working and we start talking and he had his electric radio on. We wanted some beers and 2 Tings and ask if he had any grass which he was smoking. We paid for the beers and tings and ask if I could tread the sunglass for some grass no problem he like the glass and put them on and went out back and brought a old white paper bag large then a sander size lunch bar in and handed it to me, I said ho how much of it he looked at me fun with a puzzled look not understanding what I was talking about then said all of it.
    It was clear he did not know yet that American hippies had to pay 20 buck for a 1/2 of a sandwich bag back home, and it wasn't all buds.
    I know then why the big bowl of grass was left in the cottage from pass travelers.
    We want to go swimming but don't want to walk to the beach and as Daisy if there was any place we could get to the water near by.
    she told us to go to the light house there were stair down to the walk and to tell the lighthouse keep that we where staying with me.
    We head out and she give me a bottle of coconut oil to help with the burning.

We meet this mother and little girl enjoying the morning there and tell her we are going swimming no problem.

Here we are on our own little island in the sun not as soft has the beach sand but it perfect for us, we spend many mornings here if the sea is calm.
    Last edited by lane; 01-02-2023 at 09:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Re: Day 1 on 1980 Memory Lane

User Info Menu

Re: Day 1 on 1980 Memory Lane

We have had enough of sitting on the hard rock and splashing around in the warn crystal clear water plus we are getting pink.
    we stop at Rocky Dell for a grilled cheese sandwiches and the whole crew is there. Gosnos, Pee Wee and Donald.
    We tell them that we have some thing for them and go get the tall burgundy chief hat and white aprons for them.
    When they some them you could not smack the smiles off their faces. Many of you who came later in time know Pew Wee from his
    restaurant that he had down the road on the cliffs. His birthday party's was legend on this board, may he rest in peace.

Here they are with them on while on the side dining room later in the after noon.

I which I had more photo of the people that mad my time so memorable, but Daisy for one did not like her picture taken and told me no to just snap way with out the ok.
    I respected that.
    We walk down the road toward town some and her is what we saw.
    I am not the best action person because I can not stay still for long and have to keep moving.
    Stop at Tony and May little Yellow house and told them John said hi and they were all smiles told to come back.

Here is the Rasta compound next to Daisy's where the music blasted all day and most of the night, with a big pit out in the from yard that they sat around
    and pulled buds off the plants and a cloud of sweet smoke over head.
    Here is the beauty of Nigril's west end.

The bright flower.

Even a fence can hide it!!
    More to come the adventure is just getting started.
    Last edited by lane; 01-02-2023 at 11:47 AM.