Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About the Service Charge on your bill...

User Info Menu

Re: About the Service Charge on your bill...

In NY, it's typical to tip 20%, so I just look on the bill there for a service charge and if there is one, I'll just tip the server 10% more.

I also know that alot of restaurants up here will collect all the waitresses tips and then distribute them evenly amongst the staff (which is essentially what the service charge is trying to accomplish there). Sometimes a tip will be automatically added to a bill here if a large party is being served.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 01-19-2023 at 02:49 PM.

User Info Menu

In NY, it's typical to tip 20%, so I just look on the bill there for a service charge and if there is one, I'll just tip the server 10% more.
    That’s a very good point. I’m always torn over the amount of gratuity to leave. What do Jamaicans feel is an appropriate percentage? I’m taking about restaurants with the 10% service charge and not the mom and pop/family run restaurants. I will always do 20% for good food and service there.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Leave whatever you feel is appropriate. From zero to 100% will get you the same service. But be careful, an overly large tip can make you a "mark".

Be wise and appropriate, everything is appreciated.

And yes, I have WAY over tipped. On December 9th, 1980 I drove to Indy from Columbus and tipped the waitress $100 for a cup of coffee.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I thought this article was pretty decent in explaining tipping practices around the world. It also includes the Caribbean.

https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/trave...eling-pictures

Tipping wasn't common place in Jamaica outside of the tourist areas (read tourists, not Jamaicans) when I'd started living in Negril 16 years ago. It has become more prevalent around the Island, albeit still not in most of the Mom & Pop shops.

User Info Menu

Thanks, That is a good article!

User Info Menu

This is a really good thread. And not to beat a dead horse BUT, I have seen online some menus from different places listing both the service charge and GCT.. not a big deal as I now know the difference.

I am curious to know what the current GCT rate is? Some menus list it as 16.5%, one is 15% and I have seen a few with 10%... Specifically referring to the GCT not Service charge.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cd1523 View Post
    This is a really good thread. And not to beat a dead horse BUT, I have seen online some menus from different places listing both the service charge and GCT.. not a big deal as I now know the difference.

I am curious to know what the current GCT rate is? Some menus list it as 16.5%, one is 15% and I have seen a few with 10%... Specifically referring to the GCT not Service charge.
    Excellent question! Depending on when the business started operating, they may have been "grandfathered" in on the rate when they started. 10% would be the oldest establishments, 15% would still be an older establishment but not as old.

All new businesses have a 16.5 gct rate.

User Info Menu

It is interesting how they vary. I went to the Firefly for a few evening meals and there was no tax at all. The price was the price. A few other smaller places its same way. It does add up when paying 20% tax plus a tip on top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpolephoreskin View Post
    This is great information (especially for people who come from countries where tipping is de rigeuer (US)).

I come to Negril for fun so my default fiscal setting shows all the restraint of a drunken sailor on shore leave.

I was unaware of the meaning of the “service fee” and always tipped as I would in the US.

But if I understand this message correctly the implication is I’m not offending Jamaicans by tipping.
    Right?
    Yes Rum...I like your style man. Money like DIRT!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Fargo,

No place can legally charge you a 20% tax, 16.5% is as high as it goes. If you are adding the tax and service charge (if there is one), then that is not 20% tax. A 20% tax is illegal and the business will be shutdown extremely fast.

As with stores, restaurants and bars can include the GCT tax in the price, but then they have to backout the appropriate GCT amount.

Firefly is one of the oldest establishments on the beach, they probably have the lowest GCT rate anywhere. But they have to backout the tax they owe. Trust me on that one, I spent the major part of today with the tax office. Just another crummy Tuesday.... (sorry Bangles).