Home | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About the Service Charge on your bill...

User Info Menu

Re: About the Service Charge on your bill...

In NY, it's typical to tip 20%, so I just look on the bill there for a service charge and if there is one, I'll just tip the server 10% more.

I also know that alot of restaurants up here will collect all the waitresses tips and then distribute them evenly amongst the staff (which is essentially what the service charge is trying to accomplish there). Sometimes a tip will be automatically added to a bill here if a large party is being served.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 01-19-2023 at 02:49 PM.
    2011 [NBCC], 2014 [SunSpree Holiday Inn, GP], 2015 [Tobys, WS, Riu Club], 2016 [Tobys, WS], 2017 [WS X 3], 2018 [WS X 2, Negril Palms, WS], 2019 [Seastar/WS, CCLP, WS], 2020 [WS X 2], 2021 [WS], 2022 [LTU/WS, WS]

GO BILLS!!!

User Info Menu

In NY, it's typical to tip 20%, so I just look on the bill there for a service charge and if there is one, I'll just tip the server 10% more.
    Thatís a very good point. Iím always torn over the amount of gratuity to leave. What do Jamaicans feel is an appropriate percentage? Iím taking about restaurants with the 10% service charge and not the mom and pop/family run restaurants. I will always do 20% for good food and service there.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Leave whatever you feel is appropriate. From zero to 100% will get you the same service. But be careful, an overly large tip can make you a "mark".

Be wise and appropriate, everything is appreciated.

And yes, I have WAY over tipped. On December 9th, 1980 I drove to Indy from Columbus and tipped the waitress $100 for a cup of coffee.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I thought this article was pretty decent in explaining tipping practices around the world. It also includes the Caribbean.

https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/trave...eling-pictures

Tipping wasn't common place in Jamaica outside of the tourist areas (read tourists, not Jamaicans) when I'd started living in Negril 16 years ago. It has become more prevalent around the Island, albeit still not in most of the Mom & Pop shops.

User Info Menu

Thanks, That is a good article!