Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Alternate Route to Negril from MBJ?

User Info Menu

Alternate Route to Negril from MBJ?

Heading back to Catcha after having been there this past October. It was a great trip, we love Catcha and the West End.

Question for the board is this: is there value in taking a different route from MBJ to Negril, other than A1? What about B8 to A2, or B9 to A2? Considering we have never took this route, it would be if anything something new for us.
    Free Vybz Kartel

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Alternate Route to Negril from MBJ?

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGong View Post
    Heading back to Catcha after having been there this past October. It was a great trip, we love Catcha and the West End.

Question for the board is this: is there value in taking a different route from MBJ to Negril, other than A1? What about B8 to A2, or B9 to A2? Considering we have never took this route, it would be if anything something new for us.
    The "inland route" is a great way to see a different part of the island. Plus you go by Boarders, which is probably the most authentic jerk on this side of the island!

Coming from the airport, at the Reading intersection, rather than going straight you turn left.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Rob,
    What's the difference in timing and private driver costs? This caught my interest.

User Info Menu

On one trip our friend and driver Niah picked us up to return to MJB and our flight home. As we were leaving Negril he somehow learned about a tag check farther up the road and his van had an expired tag (brake tag, JUTA decal, i don't remember.) So instead we headed off in the opposite direction to the airport! And that is how my wife and I got to travel the route you're discussing. As I recall it did take a little longer but we still made it to the airport on time. After our about face we left via the backside of Negril and soon headed off into the hills. As we started to climb, traffic began to melt away. Cottages and cabins were few and scattered and all seemed to hang precariously on steep hills. There were lots of switchbacks going up and then back down, featuring vista after vista. And green verdant green in all directions! I don't know the elevation there but it was noticeably cooler at the top. So if you've got the time and a few refreshments it's an enjoyable ride.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Rob,
    What's the difference in timing and private driver costs? This caught my interest.
    You would have to check with the driver about cost, should be about the same.

User Info Menu

We love Catcha! Hope to go back soon. Have a great, fun trip TuffGong!

User Info Menu

I love that drive. Negril-Sav-Petersfield-Ramble-Anchove and then out at the traffic lights at Reading close to MoBay. The road is OK, not great but OK with a few larger pot holes but still a nice break-a-way from the normal coast route. There is just something about Petersfield that I like, not sure what, but I love that drive. A stop at Border Jerk might break up the drive a bit but be advised the Jerk pork was $3,400/lb last time and it is usually very busy, but the Red Stripes are icy cold. Sometimes I might even make the drive through Sav to Feiris Cross and then up to Border Jerk as the highway on that route is something to behold. Nicely paved, wide and fantastic views of the plains and sugar cane fields below. The leg from Anchove to Reading is something as well. Almost rain forest on the cliff side and a large deep river canyon on the other side. Might be worth the trip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    You would have to check with the driver about cost, should be about the same.

Has anyone gotten pricing for the alternate route? I was quoted from a transfer company $190 one way while their normal rate is $80 each way. I wasn’t expecting it to be over twice as much if it is only about 15 minutes longer. Any recommendations for better pricing? Thank you.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DougM View Post
    Has anyone gotten pricing for the alternate route? I was quoted from a transfer company $190 one way while their normal rate is $80 each way. I wasn’t expecting it to be over twice as much if it is only about 15 minutes longer. Any recommendations for better pricing? Thank you.
    Try one of the drivers listed in our Transportation section. That cost sounds more like the cost to the south coast.

User Info Menu

If you take the inland route you will get to go through some mountains and also pass Border Jerk in Ramble. Border Jerk is worth stopping at as they have authentic jerk that is very good. Also along the way towns like McField with the town square and Haddo with its little shops and rum bars are a nice stop to enjoy some local rural Jamaican culture. I like buying carvings, produce, etc... in Haddo because they see far less tourism revenue and the money is getting directly to the people. Going this way will bring you out through Sav and then into Negril.