Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Lucea Bottleneck

User Info Menu

Lucea Bottleneck

Does anyone know if the Jamaican Government has any plans to build a road around Lucea? Having an important road going thru the center of town is a real bottleneck and causes terrible traffic jams for the people who live there. This would greatly improve the drive from Mobay to Negril

User Info Menu

Re: Lucea Bottleneck

Quote Originally Posted by conway scott View Post
    Does anyone know if the Jamaican Government has any plans to build a road around Lucea? Having an important road going thru the center of town is a real bottleneck and causes terrible traffic jams for the people who live there. This would greatly improve the drive from Mobay to Negril
    This has been an ongoing political debate for years. Below are just a few recent articles/discussions...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jam...-of-lucea/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.jam...ss-coming/amp/

https://jis.gov.jm/plan-of-action-to...ding-in-lucea/

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a bypass but also a way to exit main road and explore Lucea town. Thanks for sharing!
    Death does not concern us., because as long as we exist, death is not here. And once it does come, we no longer exist.
    - Epicurus

User Info Menu

The problem is once you build a by-pass around Lucea, then Hopewell is a problem. Build around Hopewell and MoBay is the problem. I have seen the blueprint of a by-pass around MoBay but I'm pretty sure I won't see it, or a by-pass around Lucea/Hopewell for that matter, in my lifetime. Interesting enough but the continuation of Highway 2000 is going from Kingston to Morant Bay. It looks like a super highway over and through the mountains and will probable be a toll road but it will be many more years in the making.

Another concern is, if the Jamaica Government builds a super highway from MoBay to Negril, will the drivers be like the drivers on the MoBay to Ochie highway. We were just on that road last week and I'm hear to tell you, there are many many MANIAC drivers on the road. I'm not talking about bad drivers, I'm talking maniac drivers. So as for the road to Negril, my math skills say 30 minutes = 1 Red Stripe, just sit back and enjoy 4 or 5.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Take the inland route.... problem solved! No Hopewell (although I LOVE that town) and Lucea (not so much love) issues! And you get to go to Border Jerk restaurant! The jerk sausage...... omg!
    Last edited by Ruby; 01-23-2023 at 03:27 PM.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

My driver in December was from Lucea. We hit a backup there on the way to Negril. He took a left and we wound around a couple of neighborhoods before getting back to the main road. I'm not sure if it saved any time, but I didn't mind seeing a little different part of Jamaica.
    Johio

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johio View Post
    My driver in December was from Lucea. We hit a backup there on the way to Negril. He took a left and we wound around a couple of neighborhoods before getting back to the main road. I'm not sure if it saved any time, but I didn't mind seeing a little different part of Jamaica.
    There already is a "bypass" through a neighborhood, but if too many drivers use it, the neighbors block it.

It is possible to get the Lucea bypass developed without disruption to the neighborhoods.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johio View Post
    There's some really nice looking homes on that route.