Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about Driving

User Info Menu

Re: Questions about Driving

I've always found when switching to 'right side' driving that I am a little confused the first day, then wake up the next day like I've always driven that way.

Make sure to take a video or photos of the car (including the spare tire) when you pick it up. This will make disputing any claims of damage a lot easier to deal with.

User Info Menu

Having been to JA several times now, and returning again this year, I wish I had the guts to rent a car. Or even a scooter in Negril (even at my age I still ride a scooter for short trips around town, so I am an experienced rider). But I never have the guts to try. Just to help supplant the cost of getting to and from MBJ seems worthwhile to me, and since we stay on the Cliffs we could use the car to get back and forth from the beach. No guts, no glory I guess!
    Free Vybz Kartel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TuffGong View Post
    Having been to JA several times now, and returning again this year, I wish I had the guts to rent a car. Or even a scooter in Negril (even at my age I still ride a scooter for short trips around town, so I am an experienced rider). But I never have the guts to try. Just to help supplant the cost of getting to and from MBJ seems worthwhile to me, and since we stay on the Cliffs we could use the car to get back and forth from the beach. No guts, no glory I guess!
    One memorable trip from MBJ to the BCC back on the old 'road' in pouring rain at night (delayed flight, someone jammed something in lav on an AirJa flight out of ORD). Island Rental junk car - hole in the driver side floorboard. Crab migration time! Dodging potholes, defiant crabs and people gathering them in baskets. Avoided most of the crabs because I was sure they're upturned claws would puncture my bald tires.

Had a bunch of other non-terrifying drives (especially with the new road) but what convinced me to not drive any more was when we hired a driver to take us to Treasure Beach from Negril. Again in the pouring rain with small mudslides and large trucks we had to reverse out of the way of. So much respect for that driver and in no way did I ever want to be in that situation with me behind the wheel.

User Info Menu

What do people do for insurance? I called Bank of America today and they told me JA was one of a small handful of countries (Israel, understandable, Ireland, curious) that they would not provide any coverage in.

From BOA:

This coverage applies in countries other than the Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Jamaica and Israel.
    Last edited by TuffGong; 02-28-2023 at 05:03 PM.
    Free Vybz Kartel

User Info Menu

Oh man...I had forgotten all about those little crabs! Where are they all in a hurry to go?

User Info Menu

As I said previously, I love driving in Jamaica. It take me longer to get use to driving back in Canada than it does for me to drive here. I get in my vehicle at home after a long stay here and go to pull out of the driveway and the windshield wipers come on. My wife says, "turning right are we" (the turn signals and wiper blade arms are on opposite sides). As for the insurance, most rental car prices come with insurance, but its really important to check first. Don't rely on the rental insurance attach to your credit card. Most credit cards don't cover 3rd party damage. So if you run into someone, the car you're driving is covered but not the one you hit. That might cost you. I can't say this enough, it real important to check.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Oh man...I had forgotten all about those little crabs! Where are they all in a hurry to go?
    In a hurry to make more little crabs!