Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Driving

User Info Menu

Questions about Driving

My wife and I are getting ready for a trip to Negril in several weeks. We have not been back since COVID started so are excited to go back.

We plan to rent a car this time (a first). I think we will enjoy the freedom of not having to find a driver to run us to the store or out to eat or whatever. There has been a couple of times where we have struggled to find a ride back down to the beach from the west end even though we don’t stay out that late so we will like not having to go through that as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure I shouldn’t have any concerns driving from MoBay to Negril. It’s always seemed a straightforward drive so I expect it to be relatively uneventful. We pass through Orange Bay on that trip. It is on the US “do not travel” list but I assume the main road during the day is safe.

We may stop by MegaMart on this drive, too.

Another place in the “do not travel” list is Whitehall neighborhood. We also thought it would be nice to be able to run up to Red Dragon to get pork for lunch. I don’t know if Red Dragon is technically in Whitehall. If not, it looks like it is close.

We have been to Negril several times, now. We are pretty boring. We haven’t really ventured off the beaten path on our own. We typically stick to the beach road and the west end road. Back to our place at night no later than 9:30p. We have walked the beach at night, too. (Never an issue.). Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Also, I used to consider my cell phone as a “valuable”. It seems everyone has a smartphone, now. Any concerns with carrying a smartphone anymore. I just assume everyone probably already has one at this point.

User Info Menu

Re: Questions about Driving

Unless there's some new information that I'm not aware of, the whitehall in negril is not on any do not travel list in the US. They are reffering to a neighborhood in Kingston called Whitehall that is a particularly ****ty neighborhood (I had an office there for about a year).

But even there as a visitor in the day you'd probably be ok. Don't do stupid things you wouldn't do in America and you'll be fine for the most part. Visitors are largley immune to the many problems Jamaica has

Sponsor

User Info Menu

You got that exactly right, "freedom" with a car. Driving on the wrong side of the road takes a bit of getting used to. Sometimes the car will sit for a day or two, but who cares, when you want, you can get back into freedom or should I say adventure mode. No concerns - get a car.
    Death does not concern us., because as long as we exist, death is not here. And once it does come, we no longer exist.
    - Epicurus

User Info Menu

Or...skip the drive from MoBay to Negril and rent a car when you get to Negril. I assume Vernon's is still there (it's been a few since we last rented). And the drive down from MoBay is no fun...potholes, trucks, buses, route taxis, motorbikes, pedestrians and livestock all the way. We call Niah for airport pickup. He knows every pothole AND where the police speed traps are set up LOL.

User Info Menu

As long as you are careful you should be fine, but I just wonder about the cost of the rental versus the convenience of the $80 private taxi from MoBay, they will take you to the Mega Mart, and stop in Orange Bay for you. Surprised to hear that area is on a not safe list, I have been there many times for diving (during the day) and as long as you are a reasonable person and show respect you should be fine.

Depending on the daily rental rate, and the risk of something happening while driving yourself, again versus the cost and value of convenience for having a driver is something that I would weigh before pulling that trigger. With rentals approaching $100 a day, is it really worth having your own, dealing with parking on the west end for dinner, etc?

You can also get daily rentals in Negril if you are not going to be driving every day this may make more sense if you are going to venture out of town. And if you are boring like us, we talk a big game about leaving the 7 mile, but we really dont, other than west end, the Hi-Lo, etc., as once you are on that beach, little else matters.

You are right, everyone has a phone, we were there last in March of 2020 as covid was just starting and saw quite a few smart phones. Again, be cool, respectful, and its doubtful anyone will mess with you over that.

Good luck! we are there March 3 - 14
    The Janadians, CoCo and the Nut.

User Info Menu

Our rate is actually much cheaper than $100/day. The rental is really just to get around town. We have had trouble getting back down to the beach from the west end after dinner and I prefer to not deal with that anxiety. I also don’t necessarily like waiting on a driver to get us over to the airport when we are leaving. We had a driver show up late. Still made our flight but I prefer not to deal with that anxiety.

User Info Menu

We have used a driver for many many years.. Always on time.. Going back and picking us up. Also we have him another driver for local trips so it's never a problem getting to the beach or back to the west end or the store. We trust him and he is always there for us. I have never considered driving in our over 35 trips.. Peace of mind is great when it comes to transportation.

User Info Menu

Frankly I love driving in Jamaica. In fact my wife and I just "closed the gap" by driving and circumnavigating the entire island. We have been to Port Antonio on the north road, and Kingston on the south, but we just needed to close the gap from Kingston to Port Antonio. We left Negril driving the south road to Kingston and then followed the coastline to Port Antonio (anybody wishing to do that please be aware, the road between Kingston and Port Antonio is very very poor. 131Kms of new construction underway and just bad roads, 1/10 or even 0/10). BTW we drive an open air, top down arms out the window vehicle and never felt threatened, maybe even the other way around. We felt safe every where we went.

Orange Bay and even Orange Hill we have driven may time and no threats there at all. I think what happens is, there is a protest or incident that happened in a place like Orange Bay, it gets put on the list of "do not travel" and it kinda stays there forever even if it's the nicest most friendly town. I'm not saying driving in Jamaica is totally safe, I'm just saying take it easy, don't drive like others on the road, and be careful. If you rent in MoBay, the drive from there to Negril would be a nice ice breaker. If you can manage MoBay, Hopewell and Lucea then you should be able to drive anywhere.

Take it easy, don't watch the guy in front, watch the guy several cars ahead, and remember, DRIVE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD!

P/S The only reason I wouldn't drive in Whitehall is, after you get in you might not get out. It's hard to navigate and you might end up driving passed the same domino's game several times. LOL

User Info Menu

When left is right it can become confusing. Just remember to stay on the "correct" side of the road with the driver closest to the center line. My biggest fear was of going into a blind curve and "meeting" an American driver who didn't get the memo.

User Info Menu

For what you are planning on doing you shouldn't have any issues. You may encounter some traffic jams in Mo Bay or Lucea and that can be stressful driving when multiple vehicles try to merge into driving lanes and of course you're probably aware that many drivers down there are quite more aggressive in overtaking vehicles than most are in the US and Canada. Other than that it's a pretty smooth drive from Mo Bay to Negril these days. Red Dragon in Redground is fine and you can park your car right across the street from Red Dragon no problem. Driving the beach road and the west end is relatively easy driving in my opinion. It's when you venture out to areas with pretty bad road conditions that I don't like to drive. I've nearly blown a tire a few times.