Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longer than 90 day stay

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Longer than 90 day stay

It's really simple, DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR GOVERNMENT ISSUED VISA!!!

You will be busted by every country on the planet. Governments do not like it.

The ONLY exceptions are when the planes are not flying, like after 9/11, Covid, or a hurricane.

If you have overstayed, trying to get an extension is next to useless. Just go to the airport on departure and then be ready to pay your $50,000 fine and possibly be barred from Jamaica for at least a year.

Once again, DO NOT OVERSTAY!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It's really simple, DON'T OVERSTAY YOUR GOVERNMENT ISSUED VISA!!!

You will be busted by every country on the planet. Governments do not like it.

The ONLY exceptions are when the planes are not flying, like after 9/11, Covid, or a hurricane.

If you have overstayed, trying to get an extension is next to useless. Just go to the airport on departure and then be ready to pay your $50,000 fine and possibly be barred from Jamaica for at least a year.

Once again, DO NOT OVERSTAY!
    I "overstayed" once although it was more of a paperwork error. My work permit exemption was valid for an additional year but my passport expired. They tell you to come in with the new passport and pay a small fee to change over the stamp... When I did that they informed me I had "technically" overstayed by a few months (despite having travelled in and out with the old stamp and new passport a few months prior).

I had to pay the $50,000 fee plus the $5,000 to move my stamp to the new passport. It was definitly a money grab but that's how things work, and it was my fault for failing to remember that PICA eats technicalities for breakfast.

the 50k is a civil fine paid to PICA. If they reffer you for criminally overstaying or you get caught by police for some reason it's punishable by a fine of up to $10,000 JMD or 30 days in Jail, as well as deportation & a 5 year ban from entry. My situation was much less severe because I was already a legal resident who just hit a paperwork technicality - but even then stay on top of it and don't wind up with the headache. Having the citizenship now is such a burden lifted off my shoulders - I only have to worry about renewing a passport every 10 years instead of various immigration documetns every 1-3 years
    Last edited by Dr Suess; 03-26-2023 at 01:59 AM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

DO NOT OVERSTAY YOUR GOVERNMENT ISSUED VISA!

The Doctor's situation is unique as explained, and no regular visitor to the island would be treated that way.

An old time Boardie, a regular annual visitor, who passed away years ago overstayed once and received the fine as well as an 18 month ban on returning to Jamaica.

The procedure for getting an extension, as long as you have obeyed the laws, is painless, less than us$80 and is nearly a guarantee.

DON'T OVERSTAY!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    DO NOT OVERSTAY YOUR GOVERNMENT ISSUED VISA!

The Doctor's situation is unique as explained, and no regular visitor to the island would be treated that way.

An old time Boardie, a regular annual visitor, who passed away years ago overstayed once and received the fine as well as an 18 month ban on returning to Jamaica.

The procedure for getting an extension, as long as you have obeyed the laws, is painless, less than us$80 and is nearly a guarantee.

DON'T OVERSTAY!
    100% Don't overstay...

I hope my post wasn't construed as an argument for it. Rather - I was hoping to get across that even in the best situation it is expensive and a headache. DON'T OVERSTAY.

I've never known anyone who's been denied an extension who went about things the legal way - so just do it that way and save yourself legal, financial and all other kinds of trouble