Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifts for locals

User Info Menu

Gifts for locals

My airline ticket includes a carry-on and a checked bag. I only need one bag for my two week stay. I was thinking of filling the extra bag for gifts. . . and I will be budgeting for cash tips as well, 2 dollar bills were suggested. I have read discussions mentioning giving gifts such as cosmetics, Christmas lights (???) and pens. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Gifts for locals

Quote Originally Posted by AJ1111 View Post
    My airline ticket includes a carry-on and a checked bag. I only need one bag for my two week stay. I was thinking of filling the extra bag for gifts. . . and I will be budgeting for cash tips as well, 2 dollar bills were suggested. I have read discussions mentioning giving gifts such as cosmetics, Christmas lights (???) and pens. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    Any bill other than a two dollar bill would be a better gift as Jamaican banks refuse them. They just become another piece of paper lying around. Most every collector who wants one already has them. Christmas lights are very inexpensive here and pens, no matter how many you have always disappear. Name brand cosmetics and perfumes are always appreciated, but right now with people just getting back to a somewhat normal lifestyle after Covid, cash is king. Not sure you need an extra bag for that though....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Any bill other than a two dollar bill would be a better gift as Jamaican banks refuse them. They just become another piece of paper lying around. Most every collector who wants one already has them. Christmas lights are very inexpensive here and pens, no matter how many you have always disappear. Name brand cosmetics and perfumes are always appreciated, but right now with people just getting back to a somewhat normal lifestyle after Covid, cash is king. Not sure you need an extra bag for that though....
    Thanks for the heads up on $2 bills. I think Jamaican current will work best. School supplies such as spiral notebooks were suggested as well.

User Info Menu

Any chance you will ne at nor near Coco La Palm? I have a small package for someone there. Like small padded envelope size. DHL quoted me $105US. If I can't get it mule'd down it will have to wait until I can take it myself in 2024.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Any chance you will ne at nor near Coco La Palm? I have a small package for someone there. Like small padded envelope size. DHL quoted me $105US. If I can't get it mule'd down it will have to wait until I can take it myself in 2024.
    KAM,

Be sure to allow AJ to open it first. Not that I don't trust you, but AJ will need to know what is in it if asked. And if AJ doesn't know, Custom and Immigration will ask AJ to go to that room at the airport that you don't want to go in...

User Info Menu

Darn it. I guess I threw away $100 USD in 2 dollar bills in Jan. Everyone in Negril I gave them to thanked me, so I'll go with 'it's the thought that counts'.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up on $2 bills. I think Jamaican current will work best. School supplies such as spiral notebooks were suggested as well.
    Most schools have rigid requirements on school supplies, and spiral bound notebooks are not on the majority of acceptable supplies. The black and white hard cover glue binder notebooks are required in most schools.

I am not sure where you are getting this misinformation, but spiral binders will end up being used by a small business for accounting sales purposes at best.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    Darn it. I guess I threw away $100 USD in 2 dollar bills in Jan. Everyone in Negril I gave them to thanked me, so I'll go with 'it's the thought that counts'.
    They might have a relative who collects them. I am talking to a friend that whenever they get one, they give it to their cousin.

I collected Topps baseball cards as a kid, only had one Sandy Kofax card. They were hard to come across, unlike $2 bills in Jamaica.

They are considered good luck ($2 bill, not a Kofax card), but virtually everyone who believes it already has one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    KAM,

Be sure to allow AJ to open it first. Not that I don't trust you, but AJ will need to know what is in it if asked. And if AJ doesn't know, Custom and Immigration will ask AJ to go to that room at the airport that you don't want to go in...
    Good advice! Thanks for the heads up. I have a small package of earring backs and necklace clasps for a gentleman who makes jewelry. I try and make sure I have the original seller's invoice for any goods I am carrying. That way they can see a description of the stuff and the price.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kold Ass Mofo View Post
    Good advice! Thanks for the heads up. I have a small package of earring backs and necklace clasps for a gentleman who makes jewelry. I try and make sure I have the original seller's invoice for any goods I am carrying. That way they can see a description of the stuff and the price.
    Perfect!