Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned, make sure to lock those doors...

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your story. At least you had most of your stuff in the safe. I feel a bit more comfortable that the rooms in the hotel I stay at only have one way in, and that's the front door, but like one of the posters above stated, if they want your stuff they will get in no matter what. I like staying across the road from the beach because not everyone can see where you go..I feel like when I stay on the beach everyone knows where you are because they can watch you walk to your room from the beach. You better believe I am cramming everything I own in my safe this trip! No slacking off this time.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

There's a great security item for travelers, a little door jam u can put under the knob with rubber on the bottom of the device, and it works perfect. Aint NO ONE getting through that front door. I think I brought it to the RIU once or twice when word had spread of break-ins -- though I was greatly ridiculed about it on another board, it provided comfort and ease.

Not sure about the sliding glass door situation ..... Some hotels are safer than others, of course; Mike, the security at Bar B Barn, said no one ever breaks in there -- he said I didn't even have to bother with using the safe!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Mon View Post
    Hey Airportworker do I need to declare the door alarms ? Soon Come Limo Mon!
    if you put them in your main checked bags and they are set so not to go off whilst in flight, from a UK view i see no problem
    http://www.flightstats.co.uk/home.do

User Info Menu

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    i for one like to hear the truth about the goings on in negril. am against pretending that "all is irie" over there and these things get covered up.

don't businesses in negril want to hear travelers' bad experiences? don't business owners want us to return to a more safer place?

a lot of other travel destinations with warm weather and beautiful surroundings out there . . .
    Jitters you hit the nail on the head....Businesses should know that travelers are aware of this as well as travelers themselves..
    I realize this is a "Tourist Board" and after working many years in the industry-the last thing you want is to put a place in a "bad light"..
    But also think ignorance is not bliss...People are grown adults and can make their own decisions and yes ,of course common sense traveling wherever is necessary....I know that some people will make false accusation s for their own benefit-but I feel thats the minority..I think its insulting and disgusting to downplay, marginalize, or blame the victim for any wrong-doings that have happen to them..
    There is certainly more positive reports posted on here then negative- that's a good thing and would show that that's "the norm"..But also so important to know and report an=on anything negative that's happen (and yes, it happens allover the world).I appreciate a tourist website that
    tells the "good, the bad and the ugly" as opposed to one that only sugar-coats everything..and please people-be a little considerate to the victims and stop stating how one needs to behave like their at home,etc, etc(therefore-almost asking for it-no one asks to be a victim-or they lack any common sense)..I'm sure they're aware of it- crime can happen to anybody,anyplace -and very,very few "ask for it"...ie total bad judgement...Bottom line certain places under certain circumstances have a trend of crime (that will hopefully go away) and the more knowledge people have the more vigilant people will be and hopefully it will defuse some of this crime (ie the locals, businesses, police etc step it up a bit -bottom line-it hurts business/reputations)

For those ready to throw in the towel to Jam...I feel for you ..I dont blame you..But remember, Jam is a large island with other locales that this board promotes-I rec. checking out Port Antonio, Treasure Beach for a start...Same cool Jam vibes/culture and hopefully will restore your faith in Jam. as a place to visit..and yes, you could be a victim of crime too in those places-but IMHO-less likely than Negril at this current time..
    And NO, am not a Negril "hater" First visited in 1983 and just recently spent a few nites in Nov of this year-Always will have a soft-spot in my heart for the place and will most likely continue to visit...
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

It's funny when you hear about these incidents as they always seem to happen on the beach.
    Not saying the Cliffs is immune but when was the last time you heard something like this happening on the Cliffs?
    And that incident a few years back at Mirage doesn't count as I got the true story from the old manager.

User Info Menu

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'd be terrified to wake up with a stranger in my room. Luckily you were able to chase him off before he took much but That's really really terrible!
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Scuba Scott, sorry this happened to you. I'd be freaked out waking to someone in my room.

These door stop alarms, can they be purchased at dept. stores or hardware stores?

MissNegril, the true story about Mirage was stated on this board. Whatever you were told was, I'm sure, an attempt to try to cover her own butt. And there is a good reason she is the "old" manager. I hadn't brought up the property name again because we have previously met the new manager and I'm sure the place is being run much better now. Sorry, but your character judgment is off.

User Info Menu

sounds like it's time to put in new doors......it's going to keep happening till they do........
    sliding doors are sometimes thieves best friends as they are easy to open even when they are locked......
    of course they could hunt for new locks for the sliding doors but they probably aren't made anymore since they are pretty old so they'd be hard to find.....plus it's the doors that are the problem....
    I've replaced mi share of dem cheap sliders over the years here in the states....
    there is no deterrent with those sliders they now have.........

fix the door problem and the thieves will go away......

I had the same problem at another resort on the beach as the sliders would never locked properly.......
    fortunately I never had any problems but it did bother this guy in the back of his mind.........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Last edited by Marko; 12-07-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

CarrieBean - Not sure where you're from but in Canada they can be purchased at Canadian Tire for sure. My neices apartment was broken into a few weeks ago so she picked some up. Hers are stick mount sensors. You can put them on windows and doors. Very loud alarm if the door or window opens!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Katho View Post
    CarrieBean - Not sure where you're from but in Canada they can be purchased at Canadian Tire for sure. My neices apartment was broken into a few weeks ago so she picked some up. Hers are stick mount sensors. You can put them on windows and doors. Very loud alarm if the door or window opens!
    Thank you. I'll check out Canadian Tire today. I wonder if these still work properly if there isn't much of a space at the bottom of the door.