Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned, make sure to lock those doors...

User Info Menu

Lesson learned, make sure to lock those doors...

Well I just got back from Negril over the weekend from my week long trip. The weather was great although seriously windy making huge waves and the visibility poor enough to ruin the diving beyond mid week. I did manage to get wet a few times and the sand, music and Red Stripes were as good as ever.

I stayed at the Beach Club Resort and figured I would pass on what surprisingly and disturbingly happened.

I met my cousin Jason at Montego Bay as he flew in from California for his first trip to Jamaica for some diving. We shared a room on the second floor of the Beach Club and had a great time until mid week. After the two of us were out most of Wednesday night partying we headed back to the room and pretty much passed out. In the middle of the night my cousin wakes up and yells "There is someone in the room!" This of course wakes me up. A guy in the shadows takes off full tilt slamming out the door with my cousin chasing behind him. I jump up and follow but the guy loses us as he runs down to the beach and the darkness. I am screaming at the guy pretty loud as we chase him so many other guests woke up startled wanting to know what happened. Of course security and the front desk respond at this point but seem none to worried or particularly interested. Things eventually calm down and we were off to the room again to sleep it off until morning

The guy apparently climbed up on our balcony and forced the glass slider open, the lock being nothing more than a crappy cheap type that appeared to work off and on. If we had something like a stick in the track he would have had a tougher time getting in for sure but this room didn't have one. When Jason spotted him, he was slinking around in the room looking through our stuff. Luckily Jason was so tanked up he fell asleep in his clothes and had the keys in his pocket including the safe key that held our phones, credit cards, a good amount of money and passports. We determined later the guy only got my RayBan sunglasses and few bucks off the counter. We also suspect a couple of beers may have gone missing but we can't prove that...When we were on the beach in the morning we find out through gossip another room with two women staying in it was also broken into during the same night. They lost a bunch of stuff and were very shaken up by the situation. I was told they made a report with the police, checked out and had no plans of ever visiting Jamaica again. What a shame.

On Thursday night we were having dinner at a beach restaurant eating at the bar with several other tourists and a guy runs up off the beach, grabs a woman's purse and takes off. The people and the friends with them were so shaken by this they left immediately claiming they were going to leave Jamaica the next morning and it was only their first night. This is what will hurt everyone in Negril by keeping tourists away so I hope the police can quickly catch the few bad people ruining things for the many good people.

Honestly, the same great Negril feel that was there on my many previous trips seemed sadly missing this time. Maybe the poor economy around the world and the obvious lack of tourists this year in November with the money they bring has made some locals desperate these days. The beach was almost empty by other same time of year comparisons and the guys trying to sell anything and everything were really, really aggressive. I actually had to step in and stop a Jamaican guy from bothering a lone woman to the point that she was scared and crying. The guy started really arguing with me and only stopped and walked on down the beach when it was very apparent I was not backing down and it was going to get violent.

I believe I am going to skip a few years in Jamaica or at a minimum some of my favorite Seven Mile Beach resorts until I hear things have improved. This decision bothers me as I have been traveling to the same spot for almost 2 decades and have many friends I look forward to seeing every year.

Take it easy all.

-Scott

User Info Menu

Sorry

My daughter likes to stay at Roots (Bamboo) and I know this has happened at least once in the last few years (there), even though the economy was better at the time of her burglary.

I think you're right to say remember where you are, because some folks are up against it hard.
    On the other hand crack-heads only have one mode of operation, generally it's the crack-heads who are the snatch-out artists.

Jerks are every where, don't let them ruin Jamaica for you.

Peace

One month 5 days

User Info Menu

Were you on the beach club hotel side or the condos where Jean Gaynair is manager? Just wondering.

User Info Menu

i for one like to hear the truth about the goings on in negril. am against pretending that "all is irie" over there and these things get covered up.

don't businesses in negril want to hear travellers' bad experiences? don't business owners want us to return to a more safer place?

a lot of other travel destinations with warm weather and beautiful surroundingss out there . . .

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing your experience Scott, sorry this happened to you guys and sorry to hear this has tainted future travel plans.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    i for one like to hear the truth about the goings on in negril. am against pretending that "all is irie" over there and these things get covered up.

don't businesses in negril want to hear travellers' bad experiences? don't business owners want us to return to a more safer place?

a lot of other travel destinations with warm weather and beautiful surroundingss out there . . .
    I'm with you, unfortunately it will only be a matter of time for someone to jump in and state that things like this just don't happen. When I returned in early Oct I posted my distaste for some of the crap I observed/encountered and was put on blast. Thanks Scott for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post

What are you talking about....Scuba Scott's experience isn't being covered up? By the mere fact you're reading it here...means it's not being covered up!!!!

User Info Menu

This sucks and I'm sorry this happened to you but I'm glad that you and your cousin were unharmed.

There are 2 things in this post that reconfirm what I do --- (1) I never give a room key to my younger sister who tends to be "reckless" and (2) I never travel with a purse unless it's one that I can put over my head and wear it across my body.

I do hope you changer your mind about future travel plans but I'm sure after going through something like this, the "shock" of it all has to wear off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scuba scott View Post
    I actually had to step in and stop a Jamaican guy from bothering a lone woman to the point that she was scared and crying. The guy started really arguing with me and only stopped and walked on down the beach when it was very apparent I was not backing down and it was going to get violent.
    You were quite a gentleman for doing this.

User Info Menu

sorry to hear about that , but ,does your resort have any security, we stay at ROOMS, security at the road in front of our resort and security on the beach entrance, soon come