Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Country Country vs. White Sands Negril

User Info Menu

Country Country vs. White Sands Negril

My hubby and I will be returning to Negril in Feb 2024. We've been to Jamaica a bunch (this will be trip #19??) but we normally stay AI (Couples resorts have been our normal go-to) but I would like to stay non-AI this trip.

We did Treasure Beach one year for a few nights, and I loved it (stayed at Jake's) but my hubby thought it was too quiet. So, back to Negril we go!

I've looked at pretty much all the places on Long Beach (Coco LaPalm, Skylark, Idle Awhile, Firefly, etc.) and I think I've narrowed it down to these two. They both tick the boxes...great beach, restaurant/bar onsite, pool, close to other eating/drinking options. Both of these have room types in our budget which makes the decision even harder! We're not big party people, but we do like to socialize. Prefer more adult-oriented property, although I know both of these allow families.

Speaking of budget...that's another thing I'm kinda stuck on. Would approx. $100/day (for both of us) be a reasonable budget? Not enough? We're moderate-heavy drinkers while on vaca. We do like a good, hearty breakfast but, we're pretty happy with just patties and sandwiches for lunch and something a little more substantial for dinner but nothing fancy...some good jerk chicken, burgers, pizza, brown stew chicken, stuff like that. Neither one of us are seafood fans. One of the things that CC has over WSN is they include breakfast in the rate.

Would really appreciate any insight/first-hand experience with either of these two places. Pros/Cons that stand out at either? Advice on budget would also be appreciated

TIA!!

User Info Menu

Re: Country Country vs. White Sands Negril

We get the one bedroom apartment at WS. It comes with a full kitchen and is closest to the beach. We often cook breakfast and buy liquor at the duty free shop and make our own drinks. Prices are up across Jamaica for food and drinks and I feel it saves us a good amount of money.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

The biggest problem with Country Country is its proximity to Margaritaville. Bus loads of people and very loud music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by conway scott View Post
    The biggest problem with Country Country is its proximity to Margaritaville. Bus loads of people and very loud music.
    Good point! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    We get the one bedroom apartment at WS. It comes with a full kitchen and is closest to the beach. We often cook breakfast and buy liquor at the duty free shop and make our own drinks. Prices are up across Jamaica for food and drinks and I feel it saves us a good amount of money.
    That's the category I'm looking at for the reasons you stated . Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by conway scott View Post
    We've only stayed at CC since 2000 and the noise from Margaritaville isn't as bad as it used to be. Our last reach was March 2020 and Margaritaville was often closed or at least very quiet by 10pm.

User Info Menu

I'm biased but I think White Sands is more centrally located on the beach. Also, $100 a day for a couple just isn't doable anymore in Negril unless 80-90% of your drinks you prebuy and drink out of your refrigerator and eat in at least 1-2 meals a day (Heck, a nice couple's dinner on the cliffs with a couple drinks each can cost close to $100 now, of course we also do cheaper dinners out at Best of the West, Kenny's chinese...etc. to keep the overall average down). As I noted in a previous discussion, I calculated that prices had gone up for eating and drinking out 30%, at least, in the last year and a half.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 04-25-2023 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Hello Oklahoma! Greetings from Minnesnowta! We have stayed at a lot of places. {23 Negril trips} We stayed at Whistling Bird last reach. Loved it! Small property. Very quiet. We had breakfast included. Great location. Super staff. Check 'em out mon'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    I'm biased but I think White Sands is more centrally located on the beach. Also, $100 a day for a couple just isn't doable anymore in Negril unless 80-90% of your drinks you prebuy and drink out of your refrigerator and eat in at least 1-2 meals a day (Heck, a nice couple's dinner on the cliffs with a couple drinks each can cost close to $100 now, of course we also do cheaper dinners out at Best of the West, Kenny's chinese...etc. to keep the overall average down). As I noted in a previous discussion, I calculated that prices had gone up for eating and drinking out 30%, at least, in the last year and a half.
    Thank you for your input! Sounds like I'll need to increase my food/drink budget

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollfarmer View Post
    Hello Oklahoma! Greetings from Minnesnowta! We have stayed at a lot of places. {23 Negril trips} We stayed at Whistling Bird last reach. Loved it! Small property. Very quiet. We had breakfast included. Great location. Super staff. Check 'em out mon'
    Thank you, I'll check it out!