Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Thoughts on Travel to Negril with Children

User Info Menu

Thoughts on Travel to Negril with Children

We just returned from our latest trip to Negril yesterday. It was a very nice trip. Didn't do any excursions this time, but did go through with a car rental and made our way around town much more frequently. We had not been since 2015. Comparing to the last time we were there, the beach seemed much more quiet. Toward town there seemed to fewer guests and we noticed some places down that way had closed. We also felt there were fewer vendors and higglers walking the beach and that, generally, they seemed more accepting a a "no thanks". We also thought the beach road sidewalk was great as well as the new HiLo store!

We are getting to the age with our child that for any potential future trips, she will likely be going. She turns 4 this summer. Just wondering any thoughts that others may have on traveling with a child that small. Not sure if she will get bored or if there would happen to be any safety concerns. I've already had some feedback from some other Negril travelers that have taken their kids and feel like I am probably comfortable with it (even though it will be a bit different of a trip for my wife and I). We've also considered taking my parents with us. They have never been and I'm probably more concerned with how they might receive Negril (they are both in their 70s) or anywhere outside the US.

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts on Travel to Negril with Children

Hi Ryan, we’ve been traveling with our girls (now ages 6 and 8) since they were infants and never had any concerns except for them being around the avid ganja smoking which is everywhere I’m sure but not exactly something I’d want my little ones exposed to that young. But I’m old fashioned like that. Most of our family there are respectful and won’t light up in front of them. I know I’m going to get snippy comments for saying this but it’s how I feel. Otherwise Jamaicans treat children like royalty!

User Info Menu

Kids and grand/parents to Negril...absolutely! Think 8a-9p ish days and beach rather than cliffs. Day music vs night music...etc. nothing more lovely than a 4 year old (or grand/parent) napping in the shade on the beach!
    Hotels on the beach and calm water makes it perfect for the kids...room to run and wear themselves out! Boredom will not be an issue...Go for it!

User Info Menu

I would say that if the parents want time to relax, they should go to an AI, where they typically have 'kids clubs' where the parents can have time to themselves though.

User Info Menu

I took my son when he was that age many times. Never had any major issues other than the same I did on beaches in the US. I never did all inclusive because we had family that wanted to visit but if I was going down without that visitation necessity then an a/i just has more to do for the kids especially family oriented ones.