Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Glistening Waters

User Info Menu

Glistening Waters

Is anyone familiar with Glistening Waters? It's a luminescent bay in Falmouth. How far from Negril? Worth seeing?

User Info Menu

It is about a half hour east of Montego Bay so about 2 hours from Negril.
    Make a day of it and go to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary, explore MoBay, Rose Hall, explore Fallmouth etc. because you want to get there after sunset.
    The darker it is the better. I've done it twice and it's pretty cool.

Bless...
    Ed

User Info Menu

I concur with what Ras Walleye said

We just went there in October, it was awesome.
    They say the best time to go is during a new moon, or after a very sunny day (no rain) and a dark night (aka, new moon because it doesnt give off a lot of moonlight). That is when you will see it the best

But we went after a rainy day, actually it was raining while we were there and we were still able to see it. I would say it is definitely worth seeing, very VERY cool!

Here are some tips though:
    I highly recommend getting in the water, it makes the experience much more cool!
    But if/when you get in to swim I would suggest having some water shoes on. The water is shallow and full of a lot of silt (sand) so it gets murky and a little hard to swim in, and kind of mushy feeling (if that makes sense) so the water shoes made it easier to deal with.

It was very hard to capture it on film (and I really wish we could have gotten some pictures of us in the water) but here is one that does show the bright blue color that it gives off in the water

Name:  gw2.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  33.2 KBName:  gw.JPG
Views: 176
Size:  41.5 KB

User Info Menu

really trippy, really great excursion. It's a blast! you can see the glowing trails of fish swimming -- a LOT of fish, too!

User Info Menu

Definitely worth the trip! Try to go on a day the cruise ships are not in port in MoBay!!! It's way cool - quite a unique experience! Done it a couple of times and would go again in a heartbeat! Don't be the first one off the boat, if you opt to swim ... it's amazing to SEE that first person fall in backwards .. looks a million light sticks explode behind them!

User Info Menu

It's definitely worth seeing! Whenever I bring a newbie with me to Jamaica I always make a point of fitting Glistening Waters into the trip.
    Are you spending most time in Negril?
    I usually arrange it so that I spend my last night in Jamaica in Falmouth, since it's convenient to the airport that way.
    In Falmouth, I stay at the Fisherman's Inn and Dive Resort....it's nothing fancy, but it boasts a quiet setting overlooking the bay and it's right next door to the 'official' Glistening Waters tour operation. I think Glistening Waters charges $20us pp, but offer a discount if you eat dinner at their restaurant (mixed reviews on the restaurant). Glistening Waters herds you onto a big cattle boat with 35 others.
    If you want something a lil more intimate and you're a lil more adventurous, the folks at Fisherman's Inn can hook you up with a local to give you a tour. Mooney, a local 'businessman', is your 'go to' man in Falmouth. If you've got a number of people with you, he'll cut you a deal better than what Glistening Waters offers. Mooney can take you to some fine yard food too, places that the locals flock to for authentic good food.
    I can dig it up and private message you Mooney's number if you are serious about going.
    And just like Ras and marley say, avoid a full moon if you can, and definitely, definitely get in the water....with water shoes, bring your mask and snorkel.........