Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snorkel Gear - bring or buy in Jamaica

User Info Menu

Snorkel Gear - bring or buy in Jamaica

Dear Boardie's,

Any thoughts on buying or renting snorkel gear in Negril or Mo Bay?

Don't like to check luggage, but want to do more snorkeling next trip?
    Hard to fit in carryon luggage only!

Thanks,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Re: Snorkel Gear - bring or buy in Jamaica

We bring ours along. My wife checks her bag and we put snorkel stuff in there. I just bring a carry on which save $30 each way. Anyway, I found shorty fins which pack much easier.
    They are not near as long and a little wider. Or you can cut down an old pair to fit in your carry on.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

I used to have a travel set of snorkel gear that I brought (with shorter fins) but since I stay on the beach mainly in Negril I don't bother anymore because a) not much to see off the beach (it's been over fished and dragged out by the booby cay reef) and b) all the capts have snorkel gear on their boats for tourists (my daughters have used them in the past). The best snorkeling I've done is in MoBay, either off Docs Cave beach or out by the pennisula that sticks out into the Bay.
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 05-22-2023 at 08:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Famous Vincent glass bottom boat has everything you need for snorkeling at the reef, including leading you through a "trail" where you can see a lot of good stuff. I once saw a huge Manta Ray rise out of the sand and sail away into the deep to begin his day. Now I bring only my Rx lens mask.

User Info Menu

Do you folks really want to put used snorkle gear in your mouth? We buy a cheap set and leave them behind when we leave. You should at least pack a mouth piece

User Info Menu

Thank you all!

Much appreciated!

We will bring down our own equipment!

Regards,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Maybe your best option is to buy some here. Lost's of shops carry mask, snorkel and fins and you can support a local shop. There is a shop (Walmart packed into about 200sq meter) just inside the plaza behind the Downtown HiLo AKA Value Master. He had mask and fin's and the last time I looked at them it wasn't a bad price. At the end of your trip give them to a floatie vendor. Capt. Chris is just starting up business and he would love to see you. Capt. Chris is at Sun Beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Famous Vincent glass bottom boat has everything you need for snorkeling at the reef, including leading you through a "trail" where you can see a lot of good stuff. I once saw a huge Manta Ray rise out of the sand and sail away into the deep to begin his day. Now I bring only my Rx lens mask.
    Do you have current contact info for Vincent? phone# or email?

User Info Menu

The folks at LTU looked it up and called for us. Then we got on the line and made arrangements to be picked up at Catcha. It's been some years since we went to the reef because we've been so many times and we are now of a certain age where relaxation has passed adventure on our list of priorities. I think Vincent's son runs the boat now. Ask your front desk people and they should be able to hook you up. Or maybe Rob has the info and can share it here. Hope this helps, Tarheel. Let us know how it turns out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    Do you have current contact info for Vincent? phone# or email?
    This is the ph number I have for Vincent...
    876-473-6910.