Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a good Newbie guide!

User Info Menu

Not a good Newbie guide!

I am now a firm believer in the saying "be careful what you ask for because you just might get it"!

Ok, see if you can follow. My originally planned trip with friend ended up with friend cancelling on me and I complained about it in another thread a few months ago. Got into the going solo vibe and was kind of digging it. Would have some friends come up from May Pen for a few days and all would be good. Last week I was talking to a different friend and mentioned how happy I was that my vacation was coming up in a few weeks. She wants in. A few days later she books. She posts on Facebook that she has booked New Years in JA and one of her friends, that I also know but haven't seen in years, now wants to go also. Just saw a post on her Facebook that she has now booked.

First friend and I went to JA 10 years ago together, not Negril though. 2nd friend now booked has never been. I know from previous experience I am not a good Newbie director. I am not one of those people. The one other newbie that came down with me I was so annoyed with when she wanted to stop every 5 steps to have me take pictures of her...her under a tree, her with the flowers, her on the beach, blah blah blah. I know, I'm such a nice person. lol.

Anyhoo, any advice from others who bring friends that aren't familiar with Jam? At least we will have different rooms so that will help. I just don't want to feel obligated to be a tour guide so to speak, when all I really want to do is spend the whole day on a floaty?
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Hire a trusted driver or tour company for day trips for them and you stay on the beach.

User Info Menu

I like showing people around, trained in tour management (even got a certificate ) what you could do is the offload look for another person who's happy to do the tour guide thing
    http://www.flightstats.co.uk/home.do

User Info Menu

We had the experience of bringing a newbie friend on our last trip. I'm not a great tour guide either and I had a little bit of anxiety about it. Like if something went wrong and he didn't have a good time... it would be all my fault.

We did a lot of things together in the beginning but our friend really got into his own groove after a few days. He enjoyed exploring on his own and meeting new people. It was fun hearing his impressions of things and seeing Jamaica from a different perspective. We experienced things that otherwise we might not have. We stayed at the same hotel but eventually we moved off to two separate hotels. He hired a driver that took him around to experience other parts of Jamaica... .while Markus and I just spent the last days relaxing on the cliffs. It worked out really well and we have so many great memories now from that trip.

I guess it really depends on your friend's personality. You mentioned there might be two friends coming along, so they can keep each other company on the days you just want to chill on the beach. I agree with Sandy-girl that a good driver can take your friends around to experience excursions and such.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by airportworker View Post
    I like showing people around, trained in tour management (even got a certificate ) what you could do is the offload look for another person who's happy to do the tour guide thing
    Any suggestions on a trusted driver to hire for a full day?

User Info Menu

yes, my driver Everton would take great care of them, msg me if you would like his #..

User Info Menu

Yeah I hear you. Cause of my "friend experience" in Negril....I'm planning on goin solo when I make it back.

Since you have a lot of knowledge you could write down some ideas of excursions and #s for drivers, good restaurants, etc....but I think if I was you I'd just let them know right from the gate....not a thing wrong with that imo
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

We have taken tonnes of newbies with us to Jamaica and most recently Negril. We tell them up front our expectations of the vacation. We will help you get your feet wet but after that if our pathes cross while on vacation great, if not you are gonna have a blast anyway. We always hook them up with our driver or one of his friends that he trusts. Never had a problem and the list of happy people grows every year. Jamaica to me is about an individual experience. You don't want to have my idea of a vacation, you need to have yours. Recommend they do some research, set up some goals and if all else fails, wing it baby!

User Info Menu

Hook them up with Alfred who posts on this board and they will be safe and happy. If they don't have a specific destination, he can suggest various tours. He is a trustworthy and highly respected man.

Respect,
    Col. Andy

User Info Menu

mi give dem a good talking to first........and then they either sink or swim...........lol
    of course mi will answer any questions they have.....but mi not their babysitter.......lol
    it's your vacation too.........

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20