Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Lap-top or not to lap-top?

User Info Menu

Well call me old fashioned

But I don't want any technology between me and that deep blue sea, or me and the smiling faces around me. I have an Iphone and yes, it is going to be a little hard going cold turkey but unless you HAVE to, I wouldn't. We (me) are so addicted to being plugged in...it is liberating to unplug as stated eloquently above. It reminds me many many moons ago I was at the Grand Canyon, hanging around all afternoon on the rim, blissed out. A couple got out of their car and with the video camera IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES walked over to the rim and shot footage and said...so this is the grand canyon...looks just like a postcard. Turned around and walked back to their car and left. Need I say more....enjoy the sensations

User Info Menu

I'll be bringing a netbook for evening or morning surfing (e.g. reading news back home, email) etc. It's just too valuable a tool not to bring...even on vacation. Funny how not too long ago I can remember having similar discussion about bringing cell phones on vacations. Now cell phones are a must have.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

It depends on your life style. I TOTALLY need to unplug when I go to Jamaica, I barely like to use my phone and I prefer folks at home don't call unless it's an emergency. I call and check in to let them know I'm still breathing and thats about it. As far as posting while you are there, I mean it's great for us that are not there so we can enjoy it with them...but I would not bring a laptop or anything like that just to stay on top of whats going on on the board or to stay on top of e mails. My opinion is to UNPLUG...all the way.Enjoy Jamaica as if it was 1980 or prior, before all this technology. If you just have to bring it,use it while on the plane or waiting on your layover. Just enjoy the island,theres plenty to do besides logging in. Take all your photos, then give us your trip report upon your return. No problem mon.

User Info Menu

OXYMORON......Negril and Laptops....sorry...it is what it is.....

User Info Menu

Funny, but I am debating the same thing. A week from today, I'll be in Negril...yeah!!!, I recently bought a laptop which I really love. I've been rather psyched to have it along, especially for music...which I have carefully chosen for this trip.
    Now, with the time approaching...I am leaning the other way. I don't want the extra hassle. Trips to Negril are so relaxing to me and allows me to escape from all the hubub of the holidays. Simplicity is really a big part of what I love about our holiday trip. So, I may just disconnect and use Seastar's guest computer as I have in the past..checking in at home and quick emails. Maybe if I had a small netbook, etc...I might be more inclined to stash it in my purse. But for now, mi tinks I'll survive just fine. One less thing to worry about.

User Info Menu

I'm with meinvancouver....bringing along the netbook with some speakers so I can listen to my playlists AND have internet access. I like to have the internet to deal with checking in for the flights and checking up on delays/time changes etc.
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

I carry a net book and it's easy because it's small. I do download my pictures to it (in case anything happens to my camera). I have a Claro Internet stick which I simply refill when I get there. I keep in touch with family through e-mails etc.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Having this struggle too, compounded cause we are taking a week roving around the coast before we hit Negril for a week. Meeting wedding party in Negril, so thinking of using Skype to keep cost down and to get pics out. Current laptop is a big 17" though, so looking for cheap netbook (or win a iPad 2). Maybe Jamaica cellphone instead (what do they cost & how much/where can ya call?). We don party much so it would get a fair amount of use in PM for e-mail/pics/making reservations/Skype).

On the other hand, just unplugging sounds SO fine, as does wandering Jamaica instead of having reservations to keep to. But have been warned that we really shouldn't be looking for places to stay after dark...

KJ

User Info Menu

I bring mine, no struggle no contest. I travel solo and it is a great way to stay in touch with friends family and work. I play music and watch movies (the harder they come, dancehall queen, shottas etc) on it and also check in to see about webcasts or phone numbers for local venues. I upload photos when my camera is full but I still haven't figured out how to fit in onsite trip reports, which I give you all so much respect for!

User Info Menu

I brought mine as I went by myself for 11 days,used it all the time. Posted pics on facebook for my husband to watch my trip.......property had wi-fi.I guess it all depends on where u r staying and how secure it will be. Whatever,you decide enjoy.