Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To Lap-top or not to lap-top?

User Info Menu

If I didn't have to bring it with me I wouldn't. Its nice to be disconnected IMO.

User Info Menu

On the other hand . . .

My daughter and I were talking about Jamaica today and something MeinVancover and Rastagal said (on this thread) sparked our conversation.

Should you bring tunes to Negril?

I know I'm going to whip up a playlist of songs that evoke the Negril-vibe tonight to help prime my freak pump, but am I going to bring tunes?

Rachel (my daughter) says she has, but wondered afterward if it was worth it.

I can't remember being anywhere in Negril and being out of ear shot of music.

So at the risk of hijacking my own thread:

Do you bring tunes?
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

I would not travel 60 miles without my big heavy awkward laptop. I take it on every trip everywhere. I bought a netbook 1.5 years ago and then even a tablet 6 months ago and returned both. I need my full size keyboard and 17 inch screen. I only wish i could stay anywhere and have my feet in the ocean and be on the net reading the news from around the world. And yes I check the boards, review former posts about where the happenings are, research activities and places I hear of or things to do and use my sound system with IPOD for room music.

Children Are Our Tomorrow !

User Info Menu

We close our business for our 2 week reach but clients may still require service. I rely on hotel access for my needs but they are not always reliable so my laptop is a "just in case" backup.

Tunes? Definitely a 150 - 175 song reggae playlist for the ipod and speakers for the room. A little Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Toots and the Maytals, Collie Buddz, Lucky Dube, Freddie McGregor etc. and of course Bob, Ziggy & Damian.

I think reggae play lists deserves it's own thread.

User Info Menu

Music Palylists

Always looking to expand my reggae list. I recently ran accross a few artists that are new to me. Collie Budz and Luck Dube among a few others.

I'll post my own favorite list but don't have access to it right now.

Bob Marley, Peter Tosh etc are obvious shoe-ins. Any suggestions for great songs and/or artists that people may not have run accross?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Craig123 View Post
    Always looking to expand my reggae list.
    OOPS! That was supposed to be a new thread.

User Info Menu

The tunes question is one I've been debating. Of course I'll have a nice selection on the netbook for when we're in the hotel room. We orginally discussed making a mix to be played on the airplane and/or the drive to the hotel. Recently I've changed my mind and concluded that I'm not likely going to listen to much music on the plane. I'm not a fan of headphones/earbuds. They make me feel isolated and disconnect from the world around me (I have a similar issue with sunglasses muting my senses but that's another topic). It also seems that there is little chance a CD player will be available for the ride in. I've also decided that even though I'm traveling for my own enjoyment, I'm also traveling to experience a different culture. So I decided I want to play more of a spectator role and just take things in and maybe be exposed to something new I otherwise would not have been. My girlfriend seemed a little disappointed to learn I've all but scratched the idea of making any sort of playlist or compilation CD but I think I'm saving myself some time not bothering and hopefully opening myself up to additional new experiences.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

Most likely-depending on where your staying you'll probably being hearing music...I thinks its cool to leave your playlist at home and tune in whats goin on in Negril/Jam at the time...It might not all be your cup of tea...but think its good to get "turned on" to new music-artists etc. that you normally havnt heard...
    But yeah, thats a toss-up for me..I LOVE music cant live without it and sometime I bring down my little i-pod with the little speaker sytem thats the size of a book-that and my camera and thats its for electronics (but many times i am out in the middle of nowhere-no music in the background-but thats not an issue when am in Negril)
    " Ones destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things." (Henry Miller)

User Info Menu

Take a playlist. If you don't use it so be it. But you don't want to get there and wish you had it. On the cliffs it's nice to find a quiet spot away from others and play some tunes. Taking a shower, getting dressed, chilling on the porch, it's all nice. Then again a radio works just as well. I like a little mix throughout my stay.

User Info Menu

Tunes? Now, that's a different story. We bring a large variety of music with us - we love reggae but also love to listen to Grateful Dead early in the mornings, or even Frank Sinatra. Our IPod comes with us, loaded with a few hundred songs (if not more!). We have one of those small portable speaker dock thingies and we're good to go!