Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reggae Playlists

User Info Menu

Reggae Playlists

Always looking to expand my reggae list. I recently ran accross a few artists that are new to me. Collie Budz and Luck Dube among a few others.

I'll post my own favorite list but don't have access to it right now.

Bob Marley, Peter Tosh etc are obvious shoe-ins. Any suggestions for great songs and/or artists that people may not have run accross?

User Info Menu

Old School

Garnett Silk
    Dennis Brown
    Bob
    The Cool Ruler
    Beres
    Wayne Wonder
    Sanchez
    Cocoa Tea
    Frankie Dancehall Paul

The Ladies

Alaine
    Tami Chinn
    Tessane Chinn
    Tanya Stephens
    Queen Ifrica
    Cecille

Current

Taurus Riley

Jah Cure
    Collie Buddz
    Morgan Heritage
    Richie Spice
    Luciano
    Anthony B
    Fanton Mojah
    Lutan Fyah
    Chezidek
    Busy Signal
    Bounty
    Movado
    Vybz Kartel

Stone Love and Rodigan Live
    Last edited by CrazyBaldhead; 12-08-2011 at 05:54 PM.

User Info Menu

from ur computer, go to itunes, choose radio, then reggae ...and listen to reggae stations from countries all over the world ...

User Info Menu

Also a Jamaica Radio App available for IPad and IPhone with 6 live channels.

User Info Menu

I would recommend Spotify.com. It's a great way to find new music. I found some great reggae mix lists on there and discovered some new groups.

I'm really liking the "Wailing Souls" (Jah Jah give us life) right now and "Toots & the Maytails" (Pressure Drop). Both bands have really catchy Old Skool reggae/Ska tunes. As far as recent music, All of the Marley brothers have great music (Stephen, Ziggy and Damian in particular)

I'm also interested in finding some new music, So I'm looking forward to reading all the responses to this thread.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

I-Octane is going huge right now

Khago also blowing up

n popcaan...

User Info Menu

Glad you found Lucky Dube..he is one of my favorites. Such a unique voice. It was such a tragedy when he was killed. This song is one of the best I think...

Other great artists:

Jah Mason
    Pressure
    Turbulence
    Jacob Miller
    Anthony B
    Josey Wales
    Kiddus I
    John Holt
    Glen Washington
    Burning Spear
    Israel Vibration
    I-Wayne
    Barrington Levy
    Yellowman
    The Abyssinians
    The Ethiopians
    Alpha Blondy

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

I started a Reggae Pandora channel about 5 years ago and have been "tuning" it ever since...have found some real jewels on there as my Reggae tastes up to that point were pretty much limited to Bob, Peter and a few others. Now I am huge in to Burning Spear, Lucky Dube, Garnet Silk, Jimmy Cliff, Byron Lee (actually met him after one of his New Years Eve gigs at Sunset Beach in Montego Bay, I ran in to Keith Richards in the Montego Bay airport a few years before that and I think meeting Byron was just as big...one of the true icons of Reggae if you read the history books on the subject). Love, love, love some Toots and the Maytalls and lots of others. One of the best finds I have discovered while not Reggae in the truest sense was Michael Franti (and Spearhead)...his music truly speaks to me. First time I heard him in Jamaica was at the Canoe, sitting there looking back at the beach in Negril having a rum punch and listening to his music as moving to say the least. I couldn't drunk-dial my friends at home on my j-phone fast enough to tell them how much fun I was having.

M&M

User Info Menu

Yes...Lucky Dube is one of my absolute favs....unmistakeable voice, gone too soon. There is a wondrous WORLD of reggae music out there for the taking...all you need to do is search for it. So many really talented performers from the 70's all the way up to today. Some very good artists have already been mentioned in this thread....enjoy the "search"

User Info Menu

Since my list would contain a lot of the same artists as the others I'll just add a few that I don't see listed:

Peter Tosh
    Steel Pulse (British)
    Third World
    Eek-A-mouse
    Shinehead (British)

I also need to throw a shout out to two local bands in my area:

George Wesley
    Trouble City Allstars

Music sources I use:

Pandora.com
    grooveshark.com
    The Joint on SiriusXM

A little off topic but I've recently been turned on to Fela Kuti /afrobeat jazz. I recommend giving a listen. I find that those who like reggae tend to like afrobeat jazz.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15