Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Trip Report Part 2 - Cliffs

User Info Menu

Trip Report Part 2 - Cliffs

Once at Tensing Pen, our immediate impression was “WOW, how could we have not stayed up here before.” My wife is a definite beach person, I don’t even consider planning a vacation with her that doesn’t include a beach. However, she was totally sold on staying on the cliffs and absolutely loved everything about TP. It took her maybe 30 minutes from check until she was jumping off the bridge. It took me considerably longer to make that jump, but I got it done.

The little thatch roof cottage was super comfortable and jumping into the clear aqua water was sooooo much better than wading into the shallow water on the beach. I loved climbing out on a ladder and returning to my chair without a crust of sand on my feet. We also really liked how free it felt to jump in and not have a rope line limiting how far we could go in any direction. For swimmers, the West end is definitely the best end.

Another thing nice about TP was at check in they offered to have a case of Red Stripe delivered to the room for a price less than half what it would be to get them individually at their bar. So we headed straight to the water and came back to find a case at the cottage waiting for us. I also wanted some rum later, so a quick walk over to Wise Choice took care of that and a search for munchies introduced me to Rough Top Biscuits Coconut Drops. I can’t tell you how hard I fell in love with the coconut drops. Never had a munchie hook me like that. I was even eating them when I get up in the middle of the night to use the rest room. I only saw them in small bags, but would have bought them in a garage bag sized container if I could. Ting was another discovery for me this year. I had always ignored it, but this year I found it to be the perfect mixer for everything during the day.

Walking across the street to get lunch from Ras Rody’s and bringing it back to eat at our cottage was easily as convenient and probably just as quick as getting lunch at CSA. With a longer stay we surely would have stepped out further for lunch, but for 3 days I never got close to tired of what Ras Rody was serving. Friday night we ate at Tensing Pen and it was by far the best meal on this trip. Not sure if they are open to non-guests for dinner, but that meal completely rocked. Sunday night we went to Ivan’s and that was very good as well, pretty much equal to what we’re used to at CSA and a notch below our meal at TP.

We walked down past the light house to Whoopies one morning and then down to Push Cart the next. Easy walking in the morning, not thinking I want to do it late and/or drinking due to the narrow road and zooming cars. Before eating at Ivan’s on Sunday we decided to go to Ricks for sunset, have a few drinks, enjoy the divers and see the live music like we had done on previous trips. I’ve always defended Ricks as not being a rip off because you get live music without a cover charge and the divers work on voluntary donations. However, this night there was no band, the usual divers seemed to be mostly absent and the bill before tip was $21US for two beers and a plate of chips & dip consisting of maybe 14 chips. The service was very good and friendly, but add me to the “Ricks is a Ripoff” list if this is the new norm. I liked the youngsters working the crowd for diving tips from the rocks along the wall toward Banana Shout. Got a picture I really like of one of them leaping.

Overall, trip #8 might have been the best yet. With more time at Tensing Pen calling and an addiction to the coconut drops, I’m pretty certain this wasn’t the last trip and #9 will be in the works rather soon.

Name:  DSCN0736.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  95.6 KBName:  DSCN0772.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  43.8 KBName:  DSCN0764.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  39.5 KBName:  DSCN0786.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  57.4 KBName:  DSCN0816.JPG
Views: 347
Size:  97.6 KB

User Info Menu

Great to hear that you had a nice time on the cliffs! Tensing Pen is pretty spectacular, I have to say. We stayed there for our honeymoon and even though it was only a week after T.S. Nichole, the place was still very luxurious, we loved it!

Glad you guys got a taste of non-AI as well as non-beach LOL
    And mmmmmmm I am going to have to get me some of those coconut drops!

User Info Menu

Great pics....glad you broke out of the AI mode....there's alot out there to experience....food being just ONE item

User Info Menu

Too funny. After nine trips to Couples Negril we broke out too. I also discovered those coconut drops. Bought one bag and had to run back to get 2 more. Just ate the last of them and wish I brought more home with me.

User Info Menu

terrific Trip Report!

swimming and snorkeling off da cliffs is soooooooo nice.........

and yes those coconut drops are very addicting.......so is Ting....lol

Tensing Pen is really off da hook......
    and that place next store called Catcha Falling Star isn't too shabby either.....

did you make it to SeaStar Inn?

glad you shared with us.........walk good

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20