Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question about JA grocery stores

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I read up on megamart last night as I became interested after the post in this thread that claimed it was an international company and the $$$ didn't stay in Jamaica.

Gassan Azan has a retail empire going--but it sounds like he came from a family that was in retail already in JA and definitely had resources ($$) and business sense. Interesting that he borrowed money from his mom and started with the cigarette venture and was successful with that (paid mom back)-- he would buy from higglers and sell back to stores. He studied the habits of the higglers and also JA shppers, and obviously also was looking to Costco and Walmart models for his Megamart inspiration.

But he basically started from scratch and built his retail empire from the ground up. Sure his stores carry goods from foreign, but he also carries a lot of Jamaican produce and goods. Seeing as he has so many stores (the bashco and megamart chains) he is providing hundreds of jobs, maybe thousands, and also an influx of $$ to the JA economy. I am sure there is more back story than is reported in the papers, but I was able to peruse a lot of info that is printed about his ventures.
    Last edited by irieworld; 05-19-2011 at 11:40 AM.