Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: question about JA grocery stores

User Info Menu

question about JA grocery stores

I haven't done a big grocery shopping in Ja for a few years and am wondering if I would get more bang for my buck and find more items at Mega Mart in Mobay or Hi Lo in Negril. I have shopped at both stores, and from what I remember, Megamart has a better selection. I am having my driver stop on the way in so I can arrive w/groceries in hand and not have to bother about it.

Also--several people have posted about bringing olive oil with them--is it really hard to find or just super pricey? I would rather pay a little more and get it there if that is an option. Also, I don't remember seeing Canola oil on the shelves--it think I got regular vegetable oil last time. Is Canola available? If not--I may pack my own but space in my suitcase is at a premium.

Thanks in advance for input!

User Info Menu

ahh!!This is a GREAT question!!-Thanks

User Info Menu

I personally think the selection at Mega Mart is much greater than Hilo, pricing is hit or miss, but as a general rule I find that Mega Mart is a bit cheaper. You can get Olive Oil and Canola oil here. Your selection isn't the greatest with olive oil so I guess it depends on if you're picky with it or not.

No matter where I go to shop though, I end up shopping at multiple places, I can never find everything in one spot.

User Info Menu

thanks, ariana. I think I will hit Mega Mart and load up on most items there. Then I can supplement with fish from the fish market, fruit and veg off the truck, etc. But I would like to arrive with basics and a couple of days worth of food so I don't have to shop for more till I feel like it. I shopped at megamart on the way to seastar once and didn't have to do any shopping the rest of my trip. I am a little leery of bringing cold items though like dairy and poultry--not sure if it will stand up to the long ride.
    Last edited by irieworld; 05-17-2011 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I buy dairy and meat there all the time (not chicken however) and have had no problem at all. Just have it packed all together and if you get anything frozen pack it together like an icepack. You could also grab some newspaper and have them wrap those things too to keep them cold. I tend not to worry about that kind of stuff too much though either.

User Info Menu

yeah--I was thinking about packing it all together and somehow insulating it and buying a couple of frozen things for a source of cold.

User Info Menu

We are stopping in Mobay on the way in also. But we have packed soft sided coolers to help to keep the cold things staying cold.

User Info Menu

too bad I left my cooler with a friend when I visit Samsara (no fridge) a while back. I am psyched about grocery shopping in JA--more fun then here and I like trying new things. I missed having a kitchenette my past few visits.

User Info Menu

ya gotta use coconut oil,,,,oh! boy...........bad for your body..but what the hell, a few times a year right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    ya gotta use coconut oil,,,,oh! boy...........bad for your body..but what the hell, a few times a year right?
    Actually there has been a lot of research on coconut oil in the last few years and how good it is for you.

I cook with coconut oil (instead of veg oil or canola) and love it.