Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day trip to Kingston?

User Info Menu

Day trip to Kingston?

I just came up with this idea and wanted to see if I could get some input from you guys. As I mentioned in another thread, one of the girls that is coming along on the vaca wanted to do some type of excursion. I really could care less about seeing waterfalls or scenery type things (done it), but I would be up for a day trip to Kingston.

Are there any recording studios you can visit if there? I would really only be interested in seeing things related to music. I know there is the Bob museum, but anything else you would recommend that is off the beaten path so to speak?

Also, I imagine the cheapest way to get there would be through different route taxi's which I would consider but can anyone chime in as to what the cost of a private driver might cost? It's probably more than what's in the budget but who knows.

Thanks everyone!
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

Never been there but there is Marley's Hope Road studio. The problem as I see it is that it would be at least a 3-4 hour trip each way leaving little time for sightseeing. A private driver would probably run you at least $200-300 and maybe more. We go to St. Mary to visit family each reach and it's 3-4 hours each way. We leave early AM and get back late PM. It is certainly doable but it will be a long day.

Bless...
    Ed

User Info Menu

too far mon for a day trip.......5 hours each way........ugh

Cool Runnings, Marko
    Americana Ocho Rios 82~HedoII 84,91~T-Water 85~Wexford Court Mobay 85~Miss Mary’s 86,87~Barry’s 88~Seawinds Mobay 89~LTU 91~Charela Inn 92~Negril Inn 92~SamSara 93,94~Ocean Edge 95,96~Singles 95,96~Thrills 95~Hilltop 96,99~Pee Wees 97~Kool Browns/Bentley's 97~Cottage 99-03~Roots Bamboo 03~Merrill’s I&II 04,05~Corals Seas Cliffs & Beach 06~Catcha Falling Star 07~Blue Cave Castle 08~SeaStar 10,12~(4x)Bourbon Beach 12~T&J Cottages on Ella Dr 12-18~PeWee Cottages 18~Lynch Cottages 19,20

User Info Menu

Day trip to Kingston

I don't know about day trip but don't forget the southcoast express which should be leaving from negril now. sounds like an interesting experience.

User Info Menu

Rastagirl, there is at least one recording studio IN Negril. It's on the West End.

http://www.jahfreedom.com/

I am hoping to stop by there this reach and maybe even record something. Your thread is timely!

User Info Menu

It might be possible!

I did arange for day trip to Kingston from Negril one time to Japanese tourist customers.

It is possible if you know how to get around or know where you want to go in Kingston

You can get on Southcoast Express @4:30am and get to Kingston around 8:30am-9am.

I ask Kingston tourist guide to pick them up from kingston bus stop and take Bob Marley tour(Studio, memerial, and other spots) till 4pm.

Southcoast Express from Kingston leave @5pm and get back to Negril by 9pm.

It is possible... but I wouldn't try around election days(Dec 29th).

South Coast Express is 2200J for one way advance ticket. You can purchase at the counter by Hilow shopping plaza.

Some people go to work to Kingston with this bus and come back in same day.

Try and see how it goes

Good Luck

User Info Menu

If you are interested in Dub recording in Negril studio with Mikey Spice, he will be around till the end of this year in Negril. I can introduce him to you. or Anthony Able lol

User Info Menu

The Southcoast express sounds like a good option. I have a feeling though once I mention 430am to the others I am not going to get a good response. LOL. I would be up for it but not sure about them. I was also thinking about elections as well, but the trip would most likely be Monday the 2nd of January. I'm wondering if maybe it's worth staying one night there and coming back the next day.

Negrilmom, thanks for the info and offer! That sounds fabulous! I think I will have to check out the studio in Negril while there also
    "Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" R.N.M

User Info Menu

I just want to mention that if you are thinking of going to Kingston to see a recording studio, then you might want to skip the trip and just go to the one in Negril.
    I worked in the Reggae music business for many years (actually still do some work for them) and none of the big name studios in Kingston are open to the public, including the one at 56 Hope Road.
    If you visit the Bob Marley museum the tour takes you through his house and the property but it does not (at least usually) take you in the studio because it is an active studio so many times someone will be recording, and even if not, studio time costs money which is why it is not likely to find a tour of an active studio.
    Tuff Gong Studio is the real one you would want to see, but again, it is not open to the public as it is an active studio and most of the time it is in use. So you will only be able to get into Tuff Gong if you rent studio time or maybe if you know someone.
    But I have some great pictures of both if I can dig them up I can post them....of course I know that is not the same.

I am also not saying dont go to Kingston, it is a wonderful place in its own right for many reasons, but if seeing a recording studio was your main or only objective to making that trip, I just thought I would mention it.

User Info Menu

from South Coast's web page

http://southcoast-express.com/schedules.html

this outfit does some great tours and some can be tailored for ur needs..give her a call

Are you ready for your Kingston Adventure?

On April 30, Jamaica Cultural Enterprises offers the Kingston City Explorer. If you're interested in learning more about our peculiar city's history and delving deeper into its culture, the Kingston City Explorer is a must have adventure delivered in a fun and cool way.

On April 30 we will spend half a day:

•Visiting parks and exploring monuments;
    •Discovering art in the city;
    •Learning the history behind the names of places;
    •Navigating a historic and culturally significant community; and
    •Talking to interesting Jamaicans.

If this enriching and fun experience sounds like a journey you'd like to take, request more information at info@jaculture.com (see full contact details below).

1-876-540-8570 / 374-6370 | info@jaculture.com

http://www.jaculture.com

http://www.twitter.com/jaculture | Facebook: Jamaica Cultural-Enterprises
    Last edited by ackee; 12-13-2011 at 09:23 PM.