Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IPad Microsim

User Info Menu

The "bush" i spend time at seems to have coverage!!!

So how about EDGE? the specifications of the Ipad say that it also works on EDGE.. so does that mean that it's slower rhan 3G? on my blackberry i always use the digicel package for 1499, and the display of my phone always says EDGE... never 3G or 4G, so maybe if i cut up a digicel simcard it would work? i am so confused...

Thanks again!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Denise,

You are subscribing to the Digicel Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) plan. This is a much slower EDGE service and it is not the much faster 4G service. As I have mentioned, Digicel does not offer a 3G option. The Blackberry plan is only available for Blackberry phones, thus the name Blackberry Internet Service. It will not work on the iPad2 - it is designed to work with your Blackberry Phone. Blackberry phones are much more popular on the island than is the far less used iPhone.

Cutting your simcard will only make your simcard no longer work with your Blackberry, so that is a bad thing to do.

The fact you are getting a Digicel EDGE connection in the "bush" area does not mean that the Claro 3G high speed internet will connect in that area. Claro also has an EDGE service, so you may be able to use your Claro phone in the bush but not the Claro 3G high speed internet. The only way to know is to actually test it in that area. If the Claro 3G doesnt work, there is no reason to even try the LIME 3G as it has an even smaller coverage area than Claro.

If the 3G is not available in your area, then there is no possible way you would be able to skype because the EDGE internet service is way too slow of a connection.

Please check the coverage map link that I posted because that should give you an idea of whether the 3G is available in the bush area. If your area is covered in the green color - you should be fine. If you are in the yellow, it should also work unless you are right at the border of the yellow and red. If you are in the red areas - chances are the 3G will not work. If you are in a blue area, then there is no coverage at all.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

very clear Rob. (or should i say very Claro? )

I'm gonna get a Claro simcard and cut it up myself with the fancy machine. I should be fine in Negril with the coverage map, and we will see what happens when in "the Bush". (no disaster if it does not work, "the bush" will provide entertainment!)

One Love, Denise