Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Stealing hotel towels could be a "buzz" killer with alarm chips

User Info Menu

Stealing hotel towels could be a "buzz" killer with alarm chips

Found this on the net:

Those big hotel towels are so soft, so absorbent -- they're like Bounty on steroids. No wonder you're tempted to take one home when you check out.

Be forewarned that when you and your pilfered towel walk out the lobby door, an alarm may go off somewhere.

At least three U.S. hotels are using radio frequency identification chips sewn into the fabric to track their towels, bathrobes and sheets.

One reason is better management of inventory. But there's also the human factor:

Hotel guests steal a lot of towels.

A Honolulu hotel that uses RFID chips to track linens saw the theft of pool towels drop from 4,000 a month to only 750, The New York Times reports, reducing replacement costs by $16,000 monthly. William Serbin, executive vice president of Linen Technology Tracking, which makes the chips, said the theft rate for hotel linens and robes is 5% to 20% a month.

According to a 2004 survey by Orbitz, 18% of hotel guests admitted taking towels. Only 2% took bathrobes or bathmats. (Bathmats?)

Replacing these items has gotten much more expensive because the price of cotton has jumped 150% since August. It's so high that clothing manufacturers are incorporating more synthetics into fabric, raising prices -- look for increases of 10% to 20% for cotton apparel this year -- or using less of it.

User Info Menu

anythings goes....maybe even the kitchen sink ?
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Wonder why hotel rates are as high as they are?....this is one of the reasons...

User Info Menu

I worked in hotels. Its amazing anyone even steals towels anymore cause really - they are not nearly as nice as they used to be. Neither are the robes.

We found some guy pushing our hideous bedspread out the window once. Ridiculous.

If you need to steal stuff from hotels, well....you shouldn't be paying to stay in one in the first place.

User Info Menu

I have never once thought of taking the towels, maybe the robe but DEFINITIVELY thought of taking the mattress home....WOW!

Sponsor

User Info Menu

So youre saying the soap,shampoo and toilet paper are still free pickings?

User Info Menu

Imagine the horror of getting caught? A friend of mine got caught at a hotel that sends the maid in while people are checking out. They politely mentioned that the robes cost $100 and if he should exchange the one in his luggage for a new one since they were charging his credit card.