Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Elections on 12/29

User Info Menu

Elections on 12/29

I just heard that elections are taking place on 12/29. We're scheduled to fly in that next day. In past elections, to the extent there are any large gatherings (or riots) are they typically only in the days leading up to the election and the day of or is it possible this could carryover.

I'm just wondering whether we should anticipate having any issues getting from the airport to Negril on the 30th.

Is the election heated this year compared to years past? I have no idea about the political climate - I had just read that there have been problems in the past so a little concerned.

I'm suprised they decided to hold elections during what is likely the busiest week of the year for tourism.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Steve,

You can check the Gleaner and Observer online - and you will see that there is little to no election problems this year. Each election since the early 90's has gotten progressively less heated. I have been living here for the past 5 or so. In fact, the Prime Minister and the former Primer Minister had a debate last night, and the best estimates are that most everyone felt it was anti-climactic.

While you will do doubt see some large gatherings coming into Negril from the airport in MoBay - they will be more the lines of a big party as opposed to anything resembling a riot.

A headline from the Gleaner the other day actually read "Jamaicans see little difference between JLP and PNP candidates".

As for what you read about in the past, it is the past. And dont be surprised about the election being held on the 29th - as with everything in life - the times they do change...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Steve,

I am in touch with the family almost every day and there are no problems re: the election.

1980 is 32 years ago and as Rob said "things do change"......... This change is for much better.

No problem
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

Its been relatively quiet in Negril - the most "election activity" will be this week and part of next. As stated, there have been no reports of violence as of this time. However, both parties "rally" quite a bit - motorcades driving through towns waving their party's color flag, wearing their t-shirts, honking and playing music over a loud speaker (yesterday the PNP car went by the yard several times. I almost know the Portia song by heart, lol.)

Those I know traveling on the 29th are most worried about traffic - so if they are going to Sangster they are just leaving PLENTY of time to get there.

Since you are arriving on the 30th, anything "frenetic" should be all calm by then. My friends arrive that day too and I'm not concerned at all.

Its been interesting being here at this time - lots of good conversation regarding the candidates and I'm learning a lot about Jamaican politics that I did not know before. Plus, its all been sane and peaceful.