Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birds over Booze (Etc)

User Info Menu

It is a amazing and facinating story how the place came about and the woman who started everything, you go into the place and sit in a covered patio, they give everyone the little bottles...and you wait...all of a sudden you hear them..fluttering their little wings and the little chirps...and one by one, they come, they just know....and you almost forget to breath the whole time cause you dont want them to leave..on the video near the end listen closely to the noise of the flutter in the wings , I swear you can feel the little breeze as they past by my cheek just listening to it..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Has anyone on board been to Rocklands Feeding Station?

I know that I'm flying my nerd flag here but I'm a huge bird lover.

I've seen vids on youtube and it looks great.

If anyone has any info on it I'd be much obliged.

Thanx!
    Hey rum, It works to do both ! I multi task very well ....

User Info Menu

We went in 2004. Wife & I along with Brother in law & Sister in Law. I had one hummingbird land on my finger and feed and it was a great experience. I spent most of the rest of the time trying to take pictures. The caretaker put some small seeds that looked like thistle seeds on Bet and her Sisters legs and they had some finch like birds land and eat seeds off their legs. We combined it with a raft ride down the great river from the Lethe Estate. I say do it but pick a day that there is no cruise ship in port. We were the only ones there for the first hour and it was great.
    Steve
    [http://daisypath.com]

User Info Menu

We did it last year, and if you like birds, you'll have a great time. We went on a day when we had friends coming in on an early afternoon flight, so we chartered a van, picked them up and went directly to Rocklands. I know you've had posts talking about the ride to Negril from MoBay, and you might want to consider arranging to have someone take you directly to Rocklands when you arrive, to save the round trip driving on another day. It's a lot closer to MoBay than it is to Negril!

User Info Menu

A thread I wrote a few years ago. The prices have increased some.
    http://www.negril.com/discus/messages/83412/78373.html
    Regards,

Bob

User Info Menu

A definite must-do!!! We went to Rocklands last trip...it was amazing!! We planned it for our last day on the way back to the airport. We got there around 9:30ish and stayed till about 11:30 then off to the airport to catch our flight home. It's only about 20 mins. from the airport. The road is absolutely awful to get up to Rocklands though...a really steep incline with a hairpin turn in the middle of it! I thought our driver was gonna burn his clutch out trying to make it up the hill. Hope he's willing to take us again this year cause I'd sure love to go again
    Name:  DSCF6119.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  25.8 KB
    Name:  DSCF6151.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  35.3 KB

User Info Menu

Patty,
    I thought it was you, I saw your vid on youtube.
    Then I said no way too much of a coincidence.
    Then again you are from (at least living there) North Dakota, so it's just a small world thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Patty,
    I thought it was you, I saw your vid on youtube.
    Then I said no way too much of a coincidence.
    Then again you are from (at least living there) North Dakota, so it's just a small world thing.
    Rum! It is smaller than we realize!!!! this last reach I was at canoe and finally met "fargoman" who we had been talking to on here for 2 years...finally met up at canoe ...and to find out he was one of daughters best friends! OMG! hahahahaha
    Thats funny you would recognize me on you tube..

User Info Menu

Yes this is something we want to do too. April trip is a late flight out and thanks to Dana will try to do the same thing on the last day. What a great idea. I love this board!

User Info Menu

Rockland's Bird Sanctuary is an awesome place. I really didn't think I would like it, but it was great. Simply amazing to have those beautiful birds perched right on your finger. The owners tell great stories about the woman who started the place and how long it took her to train all the birds to come in. They will even give you a "garden tour" after - if they aren't too busy. Very resaonably priced and well worth the drive.