Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Jamaica Data Plan for Unlocked IPhone

User Info Menu

Jamaica Data Plan for Unlocked IPhone

Hi,

Looking forward to going back to Jamaica in five days.

I plan to throw a local simcard in my unlocked iPhone to keep in touch.

We will of course use the wifi networks at hotel and restaurants for data, but would be nice to also get data from local cellular network without costing an arm and a leg.

Is there a cellphone simcard provider that has a better data plan than others?

Thank you,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankk View Post
    Hi,

Looking forward to going back to Jamaica in five days.

I plan to throw a local simcard in my unlocked iPhone to keep in touch.

We will of course use the wifi networks at hotel and restaurants for data, but would be nice to also get data from local cellular network without costing an arm and a leg.

Is there a cellphone simcard provider that has a better data plan than others?

Thank you,
    Frank
    Since you'll be using an iphone i believe the best service to get for that is claro...7 days of data is about $20 usd

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Is there a Claro in Negril ?

User Info Menu

If you go on their website it certainly doesn't appear to show that there is one there. I have an unlocked iPhone as well and I am thinking I will just leave it at home now and use the pay as you go that we bought last year again.

User Info Menu

Digicel has a data plan I use with their sim card in a blackberry. It has nothing to do with Blackberry messanger so it should work on an unlocked iphone. The digicel people sseem to know their stuff go into the shop in downtown Negril and ask.

User Info Menu

I figured it probably would....either way I guess I should bring it and the pay as you go...if it works...it works...if not I have the Pay as u go as a stand by. Thanks negrilal!

User Info Menu

I have an unlocked Jamaican iPhone with Lime, I got the unlimited iPhone 7 Day Data plan from mrsimcard. Don't remember the price, but the call plans to the US are pretty cheap.

User Info Menu

Awesome. I've been wondering about this as I have a few older iphones that just sit here. I was actually thinking of using it all week, then giving it to the friendliest local I meet
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle