Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: An Angry Letter to Jimmy Buffett

User Info Menu

An Angry Letter to Jimmy Buffett

Mr Buffett;
    I will begin my letter with a thank you for my memories, real and imagined, created by your many years in music. You have played my heart and tickled my imagination and for that I thank you.

I write you today in regards to the Cheese burger that I purchased at the Margaritaville in Negril Jamaica W.I. during my November 2011 trip to Negril. It was lousy. Not fair, unmemorable, or so so; It was trash, and the French Fries were no better. I was disheartened that the Cheese Burger in Paradise was evidently made of meat that had been frozen and thawed many times over to produce a burger with the taste and consistency of card board.

JIMMY! This is your baby, your moniker, your brand, and it sucks. Something needs to be done. The burger needs to be fresh and of high quality, and the potatoes need be from Idaho, fresh cut, and done to perfection. Your reputation is in need of rescue. I don't mind paying a bit more for all of the football games and a great burger and fries, but I hate to pay more for something of poor quality. It makes me feel like I have been ripped off, and by Jimmy B none the less.

I hope that you get this, and I look forward to that perfect Burger.
    Nick

User Info Menu

I got a kick out of this for some reason. To play devils advocate, I don't believe Jimmy B sang about the cheeseburger being paradise only that the cheeseburger was eaten in paradise.

Blue Cave Castle '12, '13 '14 '15 '16 Catcha Falling Star '13 Boardwalk Village '14 '15

User Info Menu

I must say that I totally agree with Nick's letter.
    I was at Margaritaville in Negril, at the end of October. The mountain of nachos that we used to order as a meal, was about half the size and 3 dollars more. There were no shrimp of any kind.
    Burgers had shrunk. We found that in the last year or two (we've been going for 10 years), the quality has gone down as much as the prices have gone up. Its too bad, because it seems to have become a tourist money grab restaurant. We used to defend it, saying that it was great "recognizable" food, at reasonable prices... for people who are not used to Jamaican fare, its sometimes nice to have a good old fashioned burger. Not anymore. I agree, Jimmy must not be aware, or he'd fix it. Now its mostly hype.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, here's my two cents. I don't go there. It's a tourist trap. The $$ I would spend there would only help a rich man get richer. Let the college kids vacationing on mommy and daddy's $$ spend it there. I would much rather give my $$ to a hard working local restaurant owner. Just sayin...

User Info Menu

After hearing the story about how Buffett acquired the place, I have made it a point not to spend more there that the cost of one of their expensive Red Stripes.

User Info Menu

Please tell Col. Andy. I never heard the story.

User Info Menu

Marguaritaville never appealed to me, the same goes for Jimmy Buffett ~~ neither will ever see my $$$$
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

I go there all the time.....but I dont usually spend money there LOL
    I go to swim, lounge, and use their restrooms Hahaha
    I once even had lunch with Cindy Crawford and her family there (they shared our table) Ha
    Its a nice place....but I never eat there, just like I never eat at Ricks. I go to Jamaica to enjoy their food (the REAL jamaican food) so I am surely not going to spend $$$$$ for American food (lousy American food even). But every now and again I will endulge in a beverage, they used to have THE BEST Pina Coladas around but now I think Push Cart does.

Anyways, I liked the place when it was Margueritaville...Before JIMMY B came and took it over..it was much better in those days.

And even though I like Jimmy B....I am not a fan of any of the chains in the US either....it is overpriced and long waits for not so great food.
    But maybe it is also because I too was a little ticked off when I heard about how he basically took over the place and renamed it to Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville because he said they were using the name Margaritaville and it was copywritten or whatever, even though it was spelled like the name Marguerite (I think that is how it was spelled).
    Oh well, such is life, things change...and not always for the better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    I must say that I totally agree with Nick's letter.
    I was at Margaritaville in Negril, at the end of October. The mountain of nachos that we used to order as a meal, was about half the size and 3 dollars more. There were no shrimp of any kind.
    Burgers had shrunk. We found that in the last year or two (we've been going for 10 years), the quality has gone down as much as the prices have gone up. Its too bad, because it seems to have become a tourist money grab restaurant. We used to defend it, saying that it was great "recognizable" food, at reasonable prices... for people who are not used to Jamaican fare, its sometimes nice to have a good old fashioned burger. Not anymore. I agree, Jimmy must not be aware, or he'd fix it. Now its mostly hype.
    It seemed to me that it always had these characteristics, the few times we tried food it was not close to being a value, we often stay nearby at Country Country so we walk by there several times a day and the only plus to it is people watching especially the line of vendors at the edge of the loungers when Margaritaville is packed from the AI buses

I've always hated the bathroom setup there

User Info Menu

Like the water trampoline, but never stepped foot in their even though I walk past at least once daily. Speaking of hamburgers though, what's the name of the place in town, opened last year I believe, that has rep for fabulous fabulous enormous enormous burgers?