Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumpolephoreskin's Existential Wanderings in and Around Negril

User Info Menu

Fredstripe (love the name):
    No we're gangsters of love, but you did get the reference correctly and she's does bear a resemblance.

LLAP:
    There is one if you want there to be one (Frost-bite Falls).

Marley9808:
    Yup-that one.
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Rum:
    LOVE it! So exciting

Then, my friend, here is my advice to you (I believe you also said you are staying at Xtabi....good choice, that was where we stayed when I took my now husband to Negril for the first time) so you picked a great place to stay. But at some point, whether it is when you are feeling like asking a question, or even just when you are ready to celebrate the answer, take it from someone who has been married in Negril and then recently just had her one year anniversary there.....have a dinner at Ivan's at Catcha Falling Star, call ahead and make reservations and tell them of your plans or what you are celebrating and ask if they can give you the special table. You won't regret it
    See what I mean by checking out our trip report here http://negril.com/forum/showthread.p...-Report*/page5
    Page 5 is Day 5 (which is our anniversary)

Good luck (but it doesn't sound like you need it). Have a fantastic trip!

User Info Menu

My wife left on the day of New Years eve but it had been over a year since we'd been a couple. Still I was scared of being single. We'd been paying the bills together for 34 years at that point. Paying them alone: a new and scary concept, I actually questioned if I could handle it myself.

The overall financial picture was even bleaker. We were comfortable (certainly not carefree) with two incomes. How could I keep my head above water with all the same bills and only one income.

Then there is the notion of being single. While the fantasy may be alluring, the reality of singleness at least initially was chastening. I've always thought it helpful to whistle by grave yards so "When in doubt party about."

A good friend from work invited me to go out with him to a prison party. The Warden herself was throwing it at a gin mill just a stone's throw from the prison. The Warden had hired a DJ whose main schtick was MC'ing Jeopardy. Some goofs (co-workers) coaxed me into playing Trebec's game. I did pretty well and the woman who came in second was making eyes at me. Who knew that'd ever happen again? It was not to be. She was too drunk and I don't roll that way.

I started going on mini dates, meet someone from the YMCA after swimming laps for a beer, very non serious but it helped me get my swerve back on. Around this time the head of our union told me Mrs. Peel was back in the fold. She'd given up her Mgt. job upstate and was now working for a different Dept. about 45 minutes from me.

If I said I was over her I'd be lying. Regardless I got my courage up and gave her a call.
    She was still living up north on weekends but staying weekdays at her Mom's (who was in AZ for the winter) in my town.

"Would you like to go out for a beer?"
    "When?"

That was easy. We made a date. The day before we were to go out she called and cancelled. "Uh, sure no problem."

"Why don't we try again in two weeks or so."

I was dejected but I didn't want it to show, " Yeah sure, I'll give you a call sometime."

User Info Menu

Marley9808,
    Your husband posts too doesn't he?
    If that's him he seems like a very thoughtful guy.
    Your suggestion mirrors my plan, but your specifics (woman's point of view - invaluable) would certainly put a luster on my plans.

Thank you.

User Info Menu

< LJ skips out of the room to grab a cold beer for the rest of the story>

This is good reading Rum!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rum-polephoreskin View Post
    Marley9808,
    Your husband posts too doesn't he?
    Yes, his screen name is ralonzo29 and you are right, he is very thoughtful (just one of the MANY reasons I married him)

And yes, I can tell you are a good planner, so I wasn't worried...but I have never known ANYONE, male or female, to be disatisfied with their time at Catcha. It's magical
    Enjoy
    Last edited by marley9808; 01-10-2012 at 04:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Inside my head I told myself she was jerking me around. I had started going out with a speech pathologist. We'd been swimming laps together for years. She was into horses and I had been too before my leg went bad. She was fairly well-off (owned two horses and a huge spread, rich folks etc.) so she was a little spoiled, maybe bratty.

One night she wasn't acting right so the next day I called Mrs. Peel on the rain check. She jumped at the chance. I was surprised. There is a little Mexican grocery store in my neighborhood that has a dining area, great food and mostly frequented by migrant laborers. I asked her to meet me there.

It was close enough to walk, so I did. I arrived casually late, fully expecting her not to be there (definitely not on time - possibly not at all). She was seated waiting for me. She got up and gave me a warm hug.

We hadn't spoken civilly to each other for over nine years at this point. I was not expecting warmth. Just meeting up was what we in this part of the country call a "flyer" -taking a wild chance. After dinner I suggested cocktails at my house. She accepted.

I was experimenting with cosmos at the time (remember those curvy bottles of cosmo mix they used to sell). I whipped her up a shaker and got myself a beer. Conversation and cosmos flowed. After three shakers she got a little wobbly, she is almost all legs.
    I helped her get to the bathroom, held back her hair for her and the cosmos flowed again.

I tucked her in on the couch and went to bed. It was a work night. I wasn't surprised when I found the couch empty. She had a meeting with the head of our union that day and he called me to ask me what I'd done to her. "She had to leave to puke twice, man!"

We went out two more nights that week then she fell off the face of the planet. I was pissed. I told myself it was the same old run around. That was March, April was almost past and I hadn't heard from her at all. Still playing games I thought and I let it drop. On the last Thursday in April I got a call. It was Mrs. Peel.

She was staying in a motel that night, and had a business meeting there the next day. Did I want to come over? It was an hour drive and I told myself I was a sucker if I went. I said I was working on a project that was due the next day and I didn't think I could make it.

According to my journal entry for that night (four years ago) "she virtually begged me to come over". I played it very cool and managed to put her off until about 10PM. It took an hour to get there. All the way there I told myself "don't let her jerk you around anymore". We had a couple drinks at the bar and went up to her room. I asked her why, after so long, had she called me?

"What do you really want?"

She said," I want you."

"Why?"

She put her finger on my heart and said," Because of what's right here."

(This section is based on journal entries so I know it's an accurate description - especially the dialogue - of what passed between us.)
    Last edited by Rum-polephoreskin; 01-10-2012 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

This is GOOD............

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thank you!

She put her finger on my heart and said," Because of what's right here."

Do people actually talk to each other like this outside of movies like The NoteBook??? As a self proclaimed "hopeless romantic" maybe more emphasis on the "hopeless" part lately, I was starting to think that only in the movies do people say such deeply vulnerable and truely romantic things out loud. I felt myself maybe getting cynical but you've given me hope once again that it in fact does exist.

Okay you almost got me with that one .. could feel them welling up. Great writing Rum. I've been checking in for updates but felt it was time I let you know how incredible this story is so far. Thank you for sharing it with us especially because of how deeply personal it is.