Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIU Negril January 27th, 2012 anyone or any info PLEASE. 1st time to Jamaica

User Info Menu

The best part of Negril is seven mile beach the bad part of where you are staying is that you cant just walk the whole beach. You should really spend a day just walking the beach you will really see the best part of what negril has to offer. I would usually never tell anyone to go to margaritaville but it is a good place to sit on the beach for free and it is right in the middle of the beach its a good location to base from for a day. and then you can wonder the beach. Otherwise a cruse on the wildthing is alwayse fun if you decide to do that ask for nicko he runs the snorkling you will have a good time for sure.

User Info Menu

One week to go and we'll be sitting on the beach having cocktails and dreams in Jamaica. THANK YOU everyone for the help and your opinions. I have started a folder and put all this information in it to bring along.
    ANYTHING or anyone have anything else to say?

User Info Menu

If you are a fan of lobster I would suggest taking a stroll down the beach to the left of the Resort. There is a place in the trees that freshly grills lobster right over an open fire. Garlic butter and garlic bread accompany it. For 10-20 dollars they pull it right out of the trap on the beach and cook it right infront of you. It was an awesome experience. The best place for lunch, other than the Jerk Chicken Stand, is the open air eatery on the right hand side of the main part of the resort. At night its the Steak House but during the day they have patties and more Jamaican type food for you to eat. If you happen to run into the guys filling your fridges make sure to tip them and tell them you would like Red Stripe in your rooms instead of Real Rock(gross beer). They will fill the fridge to the brim with Red Stripe if you do. Also there are no elevators in the resort so if you have some in your group that have difficulty make sure you let the front desk know so they can get a main floor room.
    Some people were born in the wrong century....I was born in the wrong country!

[/url]

User Info Menu

The jerk chicken on the beach is actually very good. I hope they have resolved the sewer gas odor issue at the bar and swim up bar...

You have to get up early and queue for dinner reservations for that day only. It is a stupid system. Also, you'll find guests playing the towel game at the pool. I have always found the "entertainment" to be less than entertaining, and the disco is kinda claustrophobic...

The service is very good at the hotel. The buffet was actually very good to excellent. Make sure to check out the buffet if there is a wedding that day...the leftover wedding cake goes on the buffet!!!!

Get off the property and see Negril. A good way to do this is to get dropped at TreeHouse on 7mile. We had no problem using their pool and beach chairs for the price of a Red Stripe. Then, just walk the beach. It is one of the funnest and best beaches in the world. Really. When you are done, take a cab up to Ricks to watch the sunset and the divers. It is free. You don't have to order a drink. Then, go next door to LTU for a good dinner. And that's just one day!! Otherwise, all you will do is hang on the beach at Bloody Bay, which has no services, except for the Office of Nature....
    "Enjoy Every Sandwich"-Warren Zevon

User Info Menu

well a must do if you are going to be in the area is to visit the Canoe Bar and resturant located on the West end road jus past the round about...its very local so you will have a sense of the true jamaican vibe along with great food,great music especially on thursday nights when we have a live web cast with live steel band!!! we also have a great beach which is open to relaxation at your own pace and great snorkeling....also open for breakfast from 7 a.m for a great breakfast here...also i'll post a plate and a view so you can get a feel before handName:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  92.4 KBName:  canoe beach.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  89.9 KB

User Info Menu

It's off the beaten path a bit from the RIU experience, I'd be sure to grab some jerk chicken from a roadside vendor. It's just...better!

Also a few other tips:
    Carry small change from the airport to the hotel, for tipping, or to use when your bus stops for a bathroom/beer/refreshment break. I'd suggest $100 US in $5 and $10 bills, with some $1s, too. This way, you can be sure you won't lose too much cash on the exchange.

Clive's is a great choice. Since you're using him, take advantage and equip yourself. I'd suggest getting a Jamaican cell phone from the driver, they are around $20 US for a week and make it nice for calling home, or for calling for yours, delivery, cost-wise it beats using your own cell or room phone.

Take a walk on the Seven Mile Beach. A simple "no thanks" will keep the vendors off of you, and the walk will expose you to some of the famous beach life and properties you read about on this board.

Have fun. Smile. Be firm. Pay about 70% of what you normally would..or less...for goods and services.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    and the divers begging for money get annoying very fast.
    While I agree that the divers can be annoying at times you must remember are not paid and rely on any tips they can make.

I have been to Rick's 3 times - the first for myself and the other two times with newbies. it is a place you should go at least once but, as others have said, watch the sunset and the divers and then go to 3 Dives or LTU for dinner and drinks.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

THANKS AGAIN everyone. 3 days to go and it's party time. With a couple of inches of snow this morning I am more excited about going now. I've printed everything out - so much to do.