Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelican Bar

User Info Menu

Pelican Bar

What is the cheapest and most convenient way to go to the Pelican Bar? Any information about it would be great!

User Info Menu

Most convenient - taxi to Black River or Parrottee, boat to Pelican.

Most FUN way to go (IMO of course), taxi to Treasure Beach, have breakfast there, meet Dennis' boat and see if you can spot some dolphins on the fast, usually bouncy 45 minute boat ride. Meet your ride after in Parottee or Black River or better yet, return to TB with Dennis and spend the night there. (You can go up Black River in the boat for a couple of hours - swim up at Rudy's, get some stuffed crab from Sister Lou's then stop at Pelican on the way back to TB for sunset!)

Hang out a bit the next day in TB and/or hit up YS Falls on your way back.

Cheapest: take route taxi to Sav, then to Black River, walk to bridge and find a boat to take you to PB. You might get that done for $20pp total, maybe less. But Pelican is a business, so buy some drinks or food there....
    Last edited by ohliz; 01-16-2012 at 07:28 PM.

User Info Menu

one of our favorite places to visit, soon come

User Info Menu

"Cheapest: take route taxi to Sav, then to Black River, walk to bridge and find a boat to take you to PB."

So would you just ask a route taxi for rate directly to Black river? Is there a need to go to Sav? Would you have the driver wait for you to return back to Negril? We have limited time in Jamaica so I don't really want to go to YS, but would love to check out Pelican Bar...

User Info Menu

Your looking at 2 routes. The first to Sav and the next from Sav to Black River. Technically you take "separate" route taxis. Your driver may be willing to take you all the way for the same price though (that's between you and hime). If your wanting him to wait for you then it becomes a charter taxi and the rates will reflect that. As always negotiate first and make sure all parties understand the terms.

User Info Menu

If you take a route taxi, which has a set fare per person, per route, you have to go to Sav and change taxis and that driver will not wait. If you charter a taxi, you can make whatever arrangements you like, just agree on the price before you go. That would be the first option i suggested. Easy, not cheapest.

User Info Menu

The Route Taxi way is the cheapest to get to Black River and could make quite the adventure - and take up the better part of your day. I'd hire a driver to take you there - around $35US per person. Have them take you to a place called "Gateway to Pelican" at Parottee Beach - you can catch one of their boats for $10US per person.

We did that yesterday - what a great day. I learned that the way I'll do PB from now on is just that way - JUST Pelican Bar - no mixing it up with a Black River cruise or a ride to Treasure Beach (the boat ride back from Pelican Bar to Treasure Beach hits head water and can be pretty rough).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rastagirl777 View Post
    a place called "Gateway to Pelican" at Parottee Beach - you can catch one of their boats for $10US per person.

We did that yesterday - what a great day. I learned that the way I'll do PB from now on is just that way - JUST Pelican Bar - no mixing it up with a Black River cruise or a ride to Treasure Beach (the boat ride back from Pelican Bar to Treasure Beach hits head water and can be pretty rough).
    Thanks for the tip! I was trying to figure out what to ask for down at Parottee Point. Looked at maps/aerials/photos and didn't see anything. We'll be driving ourselves, but now I know what to ask the first friendly local I see...
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

I'd guess the "gateway" is Basil's bar on the beach in Parrottee. You might ask for that.

User Info Menu

What time of day did you do this and how long did it take from start to finish?

If we are flagging down a taxi do we ask them if they are a route taxi?