Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pelican Bar

User Info Menu

Usually route taxis have a route printed on the side door saying what the route is. So you'd need one from your hotel to the roundabout/taxi park (or walk, if you are close), one to Sav and one to Black River. I am not sure where the taxi park in Black River is but since the bridge over the river is right downtown and that's where the boats are, I'm thinking it's not likely far.

A charter taxi is about 2 hours to Black River so I'd add some time for route taxis, since you have to change (and wait for one to fill). Although they do tend to drive faster so you might make up the time

Maybe take a route taxi around Negril once or twice first, if you can, to get a feel for how they work.

Small Jamaican $ is advised.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the info! 2 hours each way plus boat time is a lot to just do the Pelican Bar. With our limited time in JA, sand gravity may win out. Guess we'll have to play it by ear!

User Info Menu

We left Negril at 11:00am and got back at 7:00pm. Well...we were hungry and stopped at Cloggy's for a bite to eat and it took an hour for our food to come out (but when it did it was AWESOME - the BEST brown stew fish I've ever eaten anywhere ever.

BUT...I WILL NOT RETURN for this reason: I noted the posted menu prices but hub didn't and neither did my friend's hub and they placed and paid for the order. The folks at Cloggy's saw a couple of "white" faces and charged DOUBLE what was on the posted menu. I didn't know this until we were back home.

NOT OK.

User Info Menu

Personally, I'd rent a car from www.islandcruiserjamaica.com and load it up with 5 people, go to your hotel and ask for a recommendation of a good guide, and head out on a fun and enjoyable journey. The journey is as fun as the destination, you get to stop whenever you like,to enjoy the local scenery and food (Gluttons Corner, just after Whitehouse) for awesome soup.

If you want a recommendation for an excellent Guide that won't shaft you, go to JB and ask them to send a message to Chris of Roaring River, he's an excellent guide.

The picture below was taken just outside of the place where you take the boat to Pelican Bar in Perotee bay. Chris is on the right holding the lobster..
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

I second grabbing an Island Cruiser. Those things are a blast!
    March 2006 - Blue Cave Castle | November 2007 - Beaches Sandy Bay | November 2008 - Blue Cave Castle/Rockhouse/Grand Lido | March 2012 - Blue Cave Castle

User Info Menu

nice lobster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    nice lobster!
    That little restaurant cooked it over an open fire too, and garnished it with fresh herbs and garlic.. Wow awesome... BTW, the place where we got the lobster is just 2 minutes down the road, they buy up the lobster from all the fishermen and distribute it out. That lobster (HUGE) cost us only 20 bucks, and fed 6 people, it was tender and juicy. The restaurant that cooked it up charged us 8 bucks for rice and peas and that included cooking the lobster!! Amazingly, unlike Atlantic lobsters, this HUGE lobster was tender, very tender... My kids loved it.. (so did I).
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Dat's da biggest Ja lobster I've seen since the good old days of $6 per pound at Pickled Parrot .. Me still misses that place/vibe/food/view ..