Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: US $ to JA$ conversion

User Info Menu

limeex2 ................. cambios are like banks but main business is exchanging U$ dollars or Euros or Pounds or Loonies into Jamaican $$$$ or receiving money by American Express etc...... there are numerous locations in Negril ................ do a search of past postings.

Your "tip included" exchange rate should be about $65JA to $70JA to US$$$$$$ depending on service.
    Last edited by Captain Oil; 01-17-2012 at 06:46 PM.

User Info Menu

My experience with ATM's has been good. I use the ATM at the airport when I arrive. Never a problem with that one for me. Then, I use the NCB machine at the Pet Com gas station next to the Aerodrome. Quick taxi ride, I've hardly ever encountered a llne and it has always had money the times I've used it. I have a credit union card that doesn't charge a fee.
    The rate is a little better than the Cambio - I got 85.50 New Year's. But the small difference really doesn't add up until you change a LOT of money. I like the convenience of the ATM but I always bring some cash, too. And a couple blank personal checks. Always have a backup plan

User Info Menu

limeex2,
    Cambio's are money exchanges. There are several around town. I have always used the FX Trader at the HiLo but there is one on the beach road, I think it's in front of Bourbon Beach and at least one on One Love Drive (the cliff road). I'm sure others will chime in with more.
    Rounding up to 100 to 1 actually de-values the Jamaican dollar not the other way around.

User Info Menu

ooops. No wonder I am still unemployed. lol :-)

User Info Menu

Ive been keeping an eye on our flight and it's gone up another 80 bucks, I am so happy I booked when I did. It's going to top a thousand a ticket soon.

Awaiting our return to Negril, 07/01/12

User Info Menu

Re: US $ to JA$ conversion

My two cents on changing money. Just returned Sunday and used the ATM by the negril airport as my credit card does not charge a fee. Rate varied quite a bit. I went twice and both times maxed out the 30,000 ja. On 2/13 cost me 275.85 and on 2/10 285.95. Thought it changed the 3 pr 4 pct diff over the few days but thought it was a better rate than I could have received from the cambio cross from Burger King .

User Info Menu

Xe.com

User Info Menu

Somebody mentioned in another thread they can't believe travelers checks still exist. I used these last time and while there was some trouble with " the systems" being down I find it hard to just use an ATM. My bank charged a fee on top of the ATM fees and it cost me about 6 dollars a transaction. How do you guys avoid these fees?
    Bar b barn '10 Catcha '11 BCC '13 Moonlight 14' Xtabi 14' HSH 15' Catcha 15'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SandT CHI View Post
    Somebody mentioned in another thread they can't believe travelers checks still exist. I used these last time and while there was some trouble with " the systems" being down I find it hard to just use an ATM. My bank charged a fee on top of the ATM fees and it cost me about 6 dollars a transaction. How do you guys avoid these fees?
    1. Use NCB ATMs
    2. Have a bank at home that refunds international charges or doesn't have them

That's about as close to the government rate as you'll get

Cap
    Linston's Zion Hill Taxi

Captain Dave

User Info Menu

oanda.com says today's exchange is $1 us to $106 Jamaican. Is this close to what you are seeing on the island now??